Garritan just not working in Windows 2012

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

CantoPed
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by CantoPed » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:32 am

Hi all, I have an ASUS laptop, Windows 7, Finale 2012. I am working on a big band arrangement and I don't understand why Garritan Instruments will simply not play no matter what I do. I'm not sure whether this is a problem with the file or with the program itself. SmartMusic SoftSynth and Microsoft GS Wavetable both make all their sounds with no problems, but this is not so for Garritan. Any ideas why? Thanks.

The worst is that I have to use Change Instrument for doubling on flute and such, and when it goes to another instrument it automatically sets it to (non-sounding) Garritan and there doesn't seem to be a way for me to change it. Help!

Lothar Ochmann
Finale Version: Fin 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by Lothar Ochmann » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:54 pm

Try to uninstall Finale and then reinstall it from the scratch (Finale -> Aria -> Garritan).

HTH
Lothar

Win 10, 64 Bit / Finale 26

CantoPed

Post by CantoPed » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:54 am

Lothar Ochmann wrote:Try to uninstall Finale and then reinstall it from the scratch (Finale -> Aria -> Garritan).

HTH
Hi Lothar, I took a break from Finale for a while and was going to come back here specifically for this issue... what exactly is a "scratch" and how do I use it? Should I just look in the "help" menu for that?
Thanks.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:53 am

I could be wrong here, but I think that Lothar by the words “from the scratch” means “from the very beginning”, in other words:
a complete re-install.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

CantoPed

Post by CantoPed » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:33 pm

Ok. Would I be risking something even if I back up my files? Like authorization issues or something? I do still have the box and package and everything, but it's been like two years since I installed it now.

Also, what does "Finale -> Aria -> Garritan" signify exactly? Is that a command or something that I have to make during the installation?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:40 pm

The first question is, do you have these problems with other files, or just this one? Is this something that someone else started, and sent to you? If Garritan works in your other files, try copying this one to a new document.

No, you won't risk anything if you uninstall and reinstall. Still, I would back up the files just in case.

Deauthorize the version on your computer first, and reauthorize it after installation. (In the Help menu, I believe.)

I think the suggestion is install Finale first, then Aria, then Garritan.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society