Midi-to-USB?

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jsb

Post by jsb » Sun May 24, 2009 2:28 pm

Hello all,

I've been happily inputting music forever with Speedy + computer keyboard, but am now looking into piano-keyboard input.

My first question has to do with hardware: How do I connect?
The back of my (piano)keyboard has a midi output, which seems to want a round plug with 5 pins across the top and a spacer at bottom.
Presumably at the other end I need USB to hook into computer.

Is such a midi-to-USB cable a standard item (Radio Shack for expl?)
If not, where do I find?
or do I praps need something else, like a magic black box of some kind between kbd and compr?

Thanks, Ch.S.
Manontroppo Music

jriffel

Post by jriffel » Fri May 29, 2009 2:15 pm

I just had to deal with that issue. If you have a plug-in sound card in your computer there is a good chance it has a similar connector. If so, simply go to an electronics or music store to get a cable. On the other hand, if there is no matching connector on the computer you can purchase a "black box" that provides midi via usb. This runs between $40 and $50. There are numerous manufacturers but they all do the same. Commonly, there are two of the round "din" connectors, out and in. Use them both if available.
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing thru the restraints.

TWW
Finale Version: 26.1 PC
Operating System: Windows

Post by TWW » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:22 pm

jsb wrote: Is such a midi-to-USB cable a standard item (Radio Shack for expl?)
It's not usually a cable, as the timing is different for the two protocols. I tried the M-Audio Uno, and it failed me. A web search confirmed that the product has some problems. Their next level up, their MIDIsport 2x2, works well.

If you're using the computer as a writing tool (versus as a listening tool), there's no need to buy a more expensive audio card. If you do want (or need) audio, I've been pleased with the Presonus Firebox, which my sons bought for me, and which obviated the need for the aforementioned MIDIsport.
jsb wrote: If not, where do I find?
Most likely at Sam Ash or Guitar Center, or any other pro music store that addresses recording issues.
-Tom Williams
Finale 26.1, Finale 2012

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:55 pm

What you need is called a "midi interface", a box which goes between your keyboard (which also produces the sounds) and your computer. The simplest one has 1 in (that round midi plug), 1 out (again midi plug) and another output to a USB input of the computer, but there are more elaborate models with 2 in and multiple out (if you intend to use several synths, it is better to use different midi outputs rather than chaining them).
Edirol, Motu, M Audio, ... are well known brands for midi interfaces.

The connections in your case :
Keyboard midi out ->midi in of the midi interface (allows the keyboard to send data to the computer)
midi out of the interface -> midi in of the Keyboard (allows the keyboard to receive data from the computer, when Finale plays back)
And connect the interface to a USB port of your computer using the cable (provided with the interface)
Last edited by michelp on Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

jriffel

Post by jriffel » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:33 pm

My laptop has sound built-in but no midi. I needed to use it on-the-road with Finale 2009 and a keyboard. A USB or PCMCIA card were my only options. I couldn't find any PCMCIA midi cards so I bought the M-Audio UNO. It works perfectly with my laptop. It also works fine on my desktop computer which has a SoundBlaster X-Fi card in it. The SoundBlaster has one midi connector which shut off when I loaded the UNO driver. Works great for me. As I wrote above, there are many manufacturers which sell this type of converter. Remember that USB is a serial connection and all of the USB ports have to be sampled to see if information is waiting. If you have a gobslopious amount of USB devices all demanding attention, you will have problems. Pace yourself on USB.
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing thru the restraints.

Harley

Post by Harley » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:01 am

Hi jsb,

The first thing to consider is the computer. You can use either a laptop or desktop model; a Mac or an IBM compatible PC. The most important decision will be from which port on the computer will you be making the MIDI connections. There are USB ports, parallel ports (often used for the printer), serial ports, and the joystick port on the soundcard. Many new laptops today do not have a serial port.

Control other MIDI instruments. With appropriate software, you could use your MIDI Player to control the sounds coming from another electronic keyboard, drum machine, etc.

Connecting a MIDI Player to a computer requires BOTH consideration of the hardware and the software.

Best of luck....

wytten
Finale Version: PC

Post by wytten » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:09 pm

To anyone landing on this page from Google: try the Edirol UM-1 - ($40 here http://www.midweststereo.com/Roland-UM- ... d-UM-1.htm, and I'm not affiliated). It works well and is sturdy.

joeschutts
Finale Version: NONE

Post by joeschutts » Wed May 27, 2015 4:31 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm a NEWBY here and I just saw this Problem Posting here Hope you don't mind me putting in my 2 cents...

I used to use a USB to ROUND 5-Pin Midi Adapter to hook up my OLD Casio Midi Keyboard - since then I have gotten a NEW Yamaha YPG-535 Keyboard that uses the the SQUARE (Printer Type) of USB Adapter and does not have ANY round 5-Pin Connecters (much to my regret).

Some time ago, another friend of mine (with a LapTop) was shopping for a USB to ROUND 5-Pin Midi Adapter so I gave him one of my spare adapters (from a different manufacturer) that I wasn't using anymore. He tried it and told me it wasn't working, so I took it back and tried it on my Desktop myself AND it worked just fine.

I then came to his house (with BOTH my adapters) and tried them on his Laptop. It turned out that ONE of the Adapters would not work with HIS Laptop, WHILE the other would not. I SUSPECT (REPEAT SUSPECT) that the problem was that the LapTop USB Port wasn't supplying enough juice to power the Adapter while the other adapter didn't have ANY problems with it at all. I then told him to buy the SAME Adapter (the one that DID WORK) from the company that I got mine from. He did and that one worked just fine...

This is JUST SOMETHING that EVERYONE should know BEFORE buying a USB Adapter.

The USB to Midi Adapter that I bought that DID WORK on both my Desktop AND HIS LapTop was made from:

M-Audio

and it's the Model:

MidiSport UNO

Regretfully, I can't remember WHERE I got it from OR how much I paid for it, but you should be able to fine it on the Web... Also, IF I remember correctly, it came with a Driver CD - PLUS you can get them from the Manufacturer directly.

Hope this helps...

Joe...

Lothar Ochmann
Finale Version: Fin 27.3

Post by Lothar Ochmann » Thu May 28, 2015 7:17 am

Hi Ch. S.
my midi adapter is this: http://www.motu.com/products/midi/fastlane_usb. I'm working over 10 years with it without any problems (with several desktops and laptops).
HTH
Lothar

Win 10, 64 Bit / Finale 26