tremolo hairpins crash finale 2005

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

franzliszt
Finale Version: 2005
Operating System: Windows

Post by franzliszt » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:34 pm

Hello guys,

First of all pardon my english, if sounds horribile. It's not my first language.
I finally decided to ask this question, which has bothered me for years... I don't use tremolo that much, so it's not a real trouble. But when I use it, I really use it! But after a few bars, maybe 10-15... see attached screenshot.
It's a real pain in the arse. I don't want to write not by note everything - though I find shortcuts like splitting 4/4 into 1/8, then copy and paste until 4/4.
My Finale version is 2005, very old one but still very good, especially for the sound. Windows 7, sp1 I think, not very updated. I use it just for Finale, because it's as slow as hell in Ubuntu, my real OS.
Please please plaese, help me to solve this ancient pain
many thanks

ps. I think it always crashes at 57%- Or better, it properly doesn't crash... it just stops, eternally.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (2.01 KiB) Viewed 4739 times

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:28 am

It's not always hairpins that cause the problem. It could be another Smart Shape. I remember this bug. What I used to do is to create a duplicate file for testing and gradually delete smart shapes staring with the end of the document until I found the measure in question. Once I narrowed down the culprit, I would then go to the original document and remove the offending shape.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

franzliszt

Post by franzliszt » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:08 am

Hello,

I've tried to do the same manu times in different ways. But sometimes... well... almost always it's impossibile to find the bug. First of all, because to find it, you actually have to use the playback, so it's a vitious circle. Second, separately you don't find it: the bug comes off when there are an amount X of number of bars. The result is easy: I don't know where the bug is.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:47 pm

Divide the score in half. If the first half doesn't show the error on playback, you know it's in the other half. Divide that section in half, and repeat the test. Keep doing that, until you've narrowed in on the error.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

franzliszt

Post by franzliszt » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:39 pm

It doesn't work. The only partial solution is to delete suspicious bars, or sometimes even everything, then play it. It works, fine. Stop. Play. Crash again.
Like it has just one shot to work: once did it, never repeats again, that damn paganini

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:47 pm

I think there is a misunderstanding. Try this:

Remove all the Smart Shapes. That would be hairpins, slurs, and any other one. If it still crashes, then we know it is not hairpins or other Smart Shapes. If it doesn't, then we now need to find out which one is causing the crash.

Zuill

P.S.: Motet (another forum user) might still have 2005 installed. Contact him and see if he can help find the culprit. If you can post the errant file here, that may speed up the troubleshooting.
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

franzliszt

Post by franzliszt » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:04 pm

Hello and thanks again for your help.

Yes, it does work now. But I deleted everything except notes...
so to solve these kind of probles I have to delete everything? then every single time I add other needed stuff, I have to play music and pray the Lord it doesnt' crash?
come on, what damn bug is that... jeez I really need to understand what's behind. As I said, I've crashed into this bug for years, and it's strictly connected to the tremolo. I've never found any kind of mistakes, but when tremolos are coming... and when they're "too much", it's impossible to write a proper score. I can't repeat that alienating passage play-stop-hope-crash-quit-click-repeat da capo a coda hoping it's the good time.
thanks for support.

franzliszt

Post by franzliszt » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:08 pm

I've just contacted him, thanks

franzliszt

Post by franzliszt » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:59 pm

No answers,
No solving,
still crashing.

Ok. sh*t happes, as sages say

Bill Reed
Finale Version: 25.2

Post by Bill Reed » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:49 pm

You could always upgrade...
Finale 25, Overture, Sibelius, Notion, Cubase, StaffPad
Win10 x64, 32GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
August Foster 190

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:46 pm

I never got your message. If you attach the file here I may be able to help.

bvstudios
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5

Post by bvstudios » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:54 pm

I've had this happen from time to time and it drove me crazy... Used to happen on one piece, but not on others. I survived by copy-pasting into a new blank document, but one day it spread like a virus and suddenly none of my songs would accept expression entries.

When I finally opened a case with Support they narrowed it down to a corrupted *.ini file, of which there are two. Below is the process they sent me about a year ago, which has saved my bacon more than once since.

Here's the process. Note it's for Finale 2014.5 running on Windows 7, but I am sure it can adapted to other versions if needed. You may have to search for the ini files if they are not where they were in my instance. Oh- you'll lose any customization you may have done, but that can be re-done as you go. The trick is to find and remove the offending little files.

1. Exit Finale
2. Hold down your Windows key and press the letter R to open the Run dialog box.
3. Type "%appdata%" (without quotation marks) and click OK.
4. Navigate to MakeMusic\Finale (your version)
5. Find and delete these two files:
FINALE.ini
FINMIDI.ini
6. Empty your Recycle Bin.
7. Restart your computer.
8. Relaunch Finale, open your file and try to add an expression. Is it okay, now?

If not, THEN I would open a support ticket, being sure to tell them up front what I had done to try and fix it beforehand.
K M Frye
BVStudios
Victoria
Finale 26, 2014.5, 2012 Print Music 2011b, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2004, 2000,1997
GPO4, JABB3, World Instruments.
S-I drums