selecting staves for playback

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

rbsalyer
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by rbsalyer » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:37 pm

I am working on a big band score and want to listen to just selected staves, as an example, I might want to listen to just the trumpets, so five staves.

I discovered the alt/spacebar and use it a lot. the issue is when I use it, it plays all the instruments in that beat. I can make it work if I open the mixer, mute everything except the trumpets and use the playback controls, which is somewhat helpful, but not what I'm looking for. I want to be able to go thru all the beats of a measure, listening to just the trumpets via the alt/spacebar.

any help would be appreciated…

thanks,
rb

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:52 pm

If you - instead of viewing the score - view the linked part, then playback only plays that part.

Is that what you are looking for?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

rbsalyer
Finale Version: 2014.5

Post by rbsalyer » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:42 pm

sorry for the delay..got wrapped up in the holidays….

not sure what you mean by linked parts…I looked under view…nothing about linked parts...

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:21 pm

rbsalyer wrote:I am working on a big band score and want to listen to just selected staves, as an example, I might want to listen to just the trumpets, so five staves.

I discovered the alt/spacebar and use it a lot. the issue is when I use it, it plays all the instruments in that beat. I can make it work if I open the mixer, mute everything except the trumpets and use the playback controls, which is somewhat helpful, but not what I'm looking for. I want to be able to go thru all the beats of a measure, listening to just the trumpets via the alt/spacebar…
1) Instead of using the Mixer to mute individual staves you can also go to the ScoreManager*), and click the chiclet Instrument List.
In the Instrument List there is a Mute column (only if you have made the Mute column visible - you can customize the view of the Instrument List).

*) You can find the ScoreManager via the Window menu.
rbsalyer wrote:…not sure what you mean by linked parts…I looked under view…nothing about linked parts…
2) “Linked parts” is a very useful feature.
It means that you can have the score and each individual part in the same document:
* Correct a wrong note in the score - and the linked part is automatically corrected, too.
* You can customize the layout of each individual part while being in the same document.
* You can create a linked part that contains several instruments, e. g. all the trumpets.
Or a linked part that contains all the brass instruments.
Or a linked part that contains the entire combo group.

To create, delete, and mange linked part, go to
Document menu > Manage Parts…

To view linked parts that are already created, go to
Document menu > Edit Part… > …

If you play back while viewing a linked part, you will only hear that linked part.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996