Playback issue in Finale 2014.5

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

HMKirk_2014
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by HMKirk_2014 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:41 am

I normally do the majority of my writing in Finale using MIDI/Audio/Play Finale through MIDI. I am able to hear the playback on both the computer’s internal speakers with the playback option switched to “Speakers/Headphones” and also using my Monitor speakers/Headphones with the playback option switched to “Line Out (the name of my external audio interface), I have never had a problem with playback before but now I found a better sound using the Play Finale through VST for a piece I am writing for strings. The string sounds are more in line with the sound I want using the Garritan Instruments for Finale. The problem is with the playback. There is none except when I use my Monitor speakers/Headphones with the playback option switched to “Line Out (the name of my external audio interface). There is no playback when I try to use the computers/s internal speakers/headphones. I’m sure I am doing something wrong but just can’t figure out what I have forgotten to turn off or on. Please help.

Thanks,
Mark
Thanks,
Mark

Windows 10, 64bit, 8G RAM, Quad Core 3.30 GHz, Finale 2014.5
Cakewalk SONAR X3 Producer, Scarlett 2i2 Interface, M-Audio Oxygen61 and Yamaha P-35 Digital Midi Keyboard controllers, and a Mio midi to USB converter for the Yamaha-to-PC

Spud Dastardly
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by Spud Dastardly » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:49 am

It's hard to know without knowing more about your particular setup and settings, but I recently ran into a similar issue with VST playback only going through a particular audio output. For me the solution was to go to MIDI/Audio -> Device Setup -> Audio Setup and change the Audio Driver at the top to DirectSound, and make sure the output source below says Primary Sound Driver. That should make Finale play through whatever your computer is set to output sound through. Hopefully that works.

Andrew