Certain Instruments Not Playing After Finale Upgrade

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jessekaisermusic
Finale Version: Finale v25
Operating System: Windows

Post by jessekaisermusic » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:33 am

Hello!

I recently upgraded to Finale v25 (upgraded from Finale 2014.5) for Windows. I opened one of my works for string orchestra, played it back, and only the cello and double bass parts played. The violin I, violin II, and viola parts did not.

This only became an issue after I downloaded the upgrade. This leads me to believe that there was an issue in the downloading of the Garritan instruments, but I could very possibly be mistaken.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, especially considering that this piece is due for rehearsal very soon.

Best regards,

Jesse Kaiser

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:37 am

GIfF or GPO? Do you have a sample file for us to test?

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Michaelb
Finale Version: Finale25

Post by Michaelb » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:00 am

Hello Jesse,

From your post I assume you are using the 'Garritan Instruments For Finale (GIFF)' set.

Just a thought, have you checked no instruments are muted? It might be worth taking a quick look at 'Window-Score Manager or Mixer' and check nothing is muted there.

You could try a very quick test that would only take a minute or two is to see if your Garritan instruments are functioning by using your 'Setup Wizard' to create a new score to include those instruments that are not playing back. If you are using the bundled 'Garritan Instruments For Finale (GIFF) set then just enter a few notes for each instrument and try playing back. Hopefully everything should work. If any of the instruments in this test score still don't play, then it does look like you would need to go through the install process again.

If your test score above plays ok and nothing is muted in your rehearsal score, then, as zuil suggeted, it would be helpful if you could post a sample for us to look at.

Good luck. :)

Michael

jessekaisermusic

Post by jessekaisermusic » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:37 pm

Image.png
Ronald, I opened the ARIA Player, and it gave me this list of errors. Apparently, the files for the Garritan instruments cannot be found. That's at least what I'm getting from this...
Image.png (42.7 KiB) Viewed 4598 times

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:49 pm

On the Mac side, MM changed the default location of the samples for Finale 25, and this can cause confusion (for the application itself). The same may be true on Windows.
Either way, I would suggest a reinstall.

jessekaisermusic

Post by jessekaisermusic » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:02 am

To everyone who assisted,

Thank you for all of your suggestions! I re-installed the software and discovered that it was simply an error in the installation process. I now have everything running properly.

Thanks for your help!

NealXu
Finale Version: SongWriter

Post by NealXu » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:58 am

Hi...i am a new user here. I will suggest If you are using the bundled 'Garritan Instruments For Finale set then just enter a few notes for each instrument and try playing back. Hopefully everything should work. If any of the instruments in this test score still don't play, then it does look like you would need to go through the install process again.