Midi - undefined external error

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Pontus
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by Pontus » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:29 pm

Everything worked fine with my usb midi keyboard. Then I turned off my keyboard because I had problems whith the modwheel (turned it on again of course). Anyway, now everytime I open a file I get the message "Default midi output device" "Undefined external error". Playback works but I do not get any sound using my keyboard. I have restarted my computer and tried different midi and audio settings. I use Asio4all wich worked perfect before this problem occured. Hope you can help me even if the problem maby is "external"...

Best regards
Pontus

Finale 25
Win 10

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:32 pm

How is the keyboard hooked up? USB only, or MIDI to USB? If the second, and you don't need the keyboard to play the sounds, try only hooking the cable's Out to the keyboard's in, and not the other plug.

Zuill

P.S.: Looks like you already said USB keyboard. Then either get the latest updates for the drivers, or try using direct sound instead.
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Pontus

Post by Pontus » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:21 pm

Thanks zuill. The thing is that my computer is brand new and everything worked perfectly until I turned the MIDI
Keyboard off. Somerthing bad suddenly happenend in my system. I Will look For some update to my keyboard but I doubt that is the problem.

BW
P

Pontus

Post by Pontus » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:26 pm

I mean USB keyboard. Only connected in an USB-port

jwward
Finale Version: Finale v. 25

Post by jwward » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:29 pm

Probably unrelated, but who knows? Is the laptop plugged in?

I'd been getting an "undefined external error" and all kinds of weird behavior attempting SpeedyEntry on my laptop, using an E-Mu USB-to-MIDI cord. (Incorrect notes, lagging notes, error messages.) Strange because a few days earlier it had worked fine. Today, after much frustration, I went upstairs and grabbed the power cord for the laptop. Suddenly the MIDI input worked perfectly.

My only guess is that the cord was underpowered without the laptop plugged in. Or maybe the gods were playing tricks on me. Anyway, it's one more thing to try.