Ornery Ornaments (They're not playing back correctly)

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

gogreen
Finale Version: Finale 27.4.1.146
Operating System: Mac

Post by gogreen » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:35 pm

The first example is an ornament in a trumpet part. Tempo is M.M. 96. With HP on and set to "Standard," and with the grace note playback duration set to 128 EDUs, the ornament doesn't play back correctly. If I lower the EDUs, the playback is worse (slower and less ornament-like), and if I raise the playback EDUs, playback pretty much disappears because it's so short. I'm trying to keep this as simple as I can, so is there a setting I missed that would cause this ornament to play back correctly, or a setting I'm using incorrectly that I should change?

So far, my workaround is to write out the ornament (second example) in layer 2, mute the notes in layer 1, and hide layer 2. The ornament written out this way produces playback that's much closer to what the ornament should actually sound like, but even written out this way, the playback is still not exactly right.

My preference is to get the original notated ornament to play back correctly. Any suggestions?
Attachments
ornament1.PNG
ornament1.PNG (6.47 KiB) Viewed 2405 times
ornament2.PNG
ornament2.PNG (7.95 KiB) Viewed 2405 times
Art
Finale 27
NotePerformer, GPO5, COMB2
MacOS Ventura 13.6.6
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BRHBTHT/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=%22Arthur+J.+Michaels%22&qid=1593016536&sr=8-2

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:55 pm

We might need to hear a sample, or see a file. Correctly can be a matter of opinion, as there are different ways ornaments can be played. If you want the grace notes to start on the beat, try choosing the baroques style in a custom HP setting. EDIT: Forget that. They still pick up to the beat.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

gogreen
Finale Version: Finale 27.4.1.146
Operating System: Mac

Post by gogreen » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:22 pm

We might need to hear a sample, or see a file. Correctly can be a matter of opinion, as there are different ways ornaments can be played. If you want the grace notes to start on the beat, try choosing the baroques style in a custom HP setting. EDIT: Forget that. They still pick up to the beat.
Thanks, Zuill. No, I didn't want the ornament to begin on the beat.

I created an independent test file, but ornaments play back correctly in it, so I'm not posting it. I think the problem might then be document-specific, so I'll work with it a bit more and see if I can't make it play back correctly. I'm currently using "21st Century" playback style, whatever that means. It's too bad human playback is so poorly documented--it would be nice to know what the parameters are for all those playback styles. I don't hear much of a difference among them, but I'll experiment further with my problem file and see what I can find.
Art
Finale 27
NotePerformer, GPO5, COMB2
MacOS Ventura 13.6.6
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BRHBTHT/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=%22Arthur+J.+Michaels%22&qid=1593016536&sr=8-2