Garritan Sound Balalaika not following dynamics or Mixer

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

RiemannHypothesis
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by RiemannHypothesis » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:36 pm

In my document, I'm using the Garritan sound "Balalaika". However, it is way too loud (even on pianissimo). So, I went into the mixer to turn it down. Nothing. I created a new dynamic to set "velocity = 1". Nothing. It just doesn't follow dynamics. What can I do to fix this?

For the record, I'm running Finale 25 in Windows 10.

bkshepard
Finale Version: Finale 25.5, 26.2
Operating System: Mac

Post by bkshepard » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:52 am

I experienced the exact same problem with the Ukulele sound. No matter what I did with dynamics or in the mixer, that sound was always at full volume.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:40 am

I'm guessing you're using Human Playback. It has a multitude of issues. Turn it off and make all your dynamic changes with the MIDI Tool and you should get exactly what you want. A lot of work, but does the job.

HP is not a very reliable tool, as it is quite arbitrary, and riddled with issues. Basically, it automates manipulation of MIDI data. The old fashioned way is to apply MIDI data precisely as one wants it. Time consuming, but takes out the mystery introduced by HP.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

RiemannHypothesis

Post by RiemannHypothesis » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:37 pm

Thanks for the reply! Can I still use Garritan sounds with the MIDI tool? Also, would I have to do this with each instrument, or could I choose which ones I MIDI-manipulate individually?

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:07 pm

After some experimentation, I find that I can leave HP on, but with the MIDI tool, apply Velocity Data to the Balalaika staff to completely control dynamics (fixed levels and cresc. and dim., etc.). The key is to set HP preferences to incorporate Velocity Data. If that is not done, HP won't recognize the data you program.

Zuill

P.S.: The attached file is a short demo using the technique I described.
Attachments
Balalaika Demo.zip
(198.05 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

RiemannHypothesis

Post by RiemannHypothesis » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:16 pm

zuill wrote:After some experimentation, I find that I can leave HP on, but with the MIDI tool, apply Velocity Data to the Balalaika staff to completely control dynamics (fixed levels and cresc. and dim., etc.). The key is to set HP preferences to incorporate Velocity Data. If that is not done, HP won't recognize the data you program.

Zuill

Thanks! This helped a lot.

igor68
Finale Version: 25

Post by igor68 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:45 am

zuill wrote:After some experimentation, I find that I can leave HP on, but with the MIDI tool, apply Velocity Data to the Balalaika staff to completely control dynamics (fixed levels and cresc. and dim., etc.). The key is to set HP preferences to incorporate Velocity Data. If that is not done, HP won't recognize the data you program.

Zuill

I have the same problem with pan pipes and I attempted to apply incorporate dynamics to HP. It doesn't work. May be I am doing something wrong? I also didn't understand why I should use MIDI tool, when I can control the HP from Playback setting? Please help. Thank you!

Musicman11

Post by Musicman11 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:01 pm

I also have the same problem with the Uke. No amount of changing mixer volume or volume in Score Manager makes any difference to playback volume, with or without HP on. The workaround using Midi Tools is limiting - I have reduced key velocity to 0 and still hear the Uke quite a bit. And of course such a workaround shouldn't be necessary for something as simple as this. I'm new to the forum, using the latest version of Finale 25.3, Windows 7 and wondering whether anyone from MakeMusic ever comments on these issues in this forum. Is there another recommended way to make them aware of issues? This is one that is clearly a bug that needs to be addressed.

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by MikeHalloran » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:13 pm

Musicman11 wrote:and wondering whether anyone from MakeMusic ever comments on these issues in this forum. Is there another recommended way to make them aware of issues? This is one that is clearly a bug that needs to be addressed.
Here's where you go for that:
https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... t_activity

MM may or may not comment on a thread. Most importantly, the Submit a request link at the top of the page is how you contact MakeMusic directly.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.3, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 13.2.1; 2017 iMac Pro 18 Core, 128G RAM, 4TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer3, Dorico 4, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

Musicman11

Post by Musicman11 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:42 pm

Thank you Mike H! I will give that a try.

Musicman11

Post by Musicman11 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:12 pm

So... I figured out what the missing lines of "code" were in the instrument's SFZ file that allow its volume to be controlled by the Mixer. A simple cut and paste of two lines of code that need to be inserted into the SFZ file of any instrument not responding to the Mixer. If people are still experiencing a problem with this, let me know and I'll post a step-by-step process on how to fix it.

Mezzo

Post by Mezzo » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:11 pm

Musicman11 wrote:So... I figured out what the missing lines of "code" were in the instrument's SFZ file that allow its volume to be controlled by the Mixer. A simple cut and paste of two lines of code that need to be inserted into the SFZ file of any instrument not responding to the Mixer. If people are still experiencing a problem with this, let me know and I'll post a step-by-step process on how to fix it.
Musicman11, could you post your step-by step fix, please. I tried to find those 2 lines of code by myself but it takes me so much time to find nothing... I'm not experienced in coding at all.

Thanks in advance