"Missing VST Instrument Plug-in: SmartMusic SoftSynth"

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

dallascomposer
Finale Version: Finale 26.3.1.643
Operating System: Mac

Post by dallascomposer » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:43 pm

Using WIndows 10, current with Windows Update

Windows 25, all updates installed

This is a new problem - when I installed Finale 25 in December on both my Laptop and Desktop, it was working great on both. Today, I have encountered the following problem:

On my desktop, I can not use SmartMusic SoftSynth through VST - It does not show up in the Dropdown Box in the Score Manager. (Only my Garritan libraries show up)

If I load a file that uses SoftSynth, when I try to play it or go to the "VST Banks and Effects" window, I get a pop-up with the above error message, and the Score Manager shows "(missing)" instead of "SmartMusic SoftSynth"

I have no problems on my laptop, which is the same setup and operating system.

I have done the following:

"Rescan for VSt Plugins"

Verified that the softsynth_vst_x64.dll is in the "ProgramData\MakeMusic\Finale\VST Support" directory

That directory is not listed in my laptop's "Manage VST Plugin locations" and it works fine, but to be safe, I tried adding it to my Desktop's VST locations, but it did not fix the problem.
If I switch to "Play Finale through MIDI", everything plays through SoftSynth just fine, (MIDI Setup shows that SoftSynth is my default MIDI output")

This is not a file-specific issues. Yes, I have rebooted.
Finale 27.3.0.160
MacOS 13.3
iMac 2019; 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5
Graphics: Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB
RAM: 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:07 pm

This might be one of those situations requiring a regeneration of one or both of the preferences files. I can't say. Have you tried that?

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:10 pm

This is outside my area of expertise, but you might try quitting Finale, moving FINALE.INI and FINMIDI.INI to the trash, and seeing if that fixes it. If not, you can restore them from the trash (quit Finale first). On my system, they're found in

\Users\Motet\AppData\Roaming\MakeMusic\Finale 2014.5

Should be something similar for you.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:17 pm

My method is to create a new folder in the same folder where the files are. I call it Preferences Backup. I save a good copy of the file. I also save an additional copy just before recreating them, in case I had made modifications since saving the good version that I might want if the problem doesn't get fixed. in that archive folder I have sub folders that indicate the date on which I moved the files there, for reference and any possible troubleshooting.

Zuill

P.S.: I see that someone on the MakeMusic "new" forum has exactly the same problem. Might I guess that the OP here is the same person?
Last edited by zuill on Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:23 pm

Sorry to duplicate your advice above--didn't see your answer. I started the practice of making copies of the "good" files a while back. It didn't help in restoring toolbar customizations, though, as I complained elsewhere, which is the biggest chore for me if preferences are reset. I've now made a copy of the registry entry where that stuff is stored as well.

I think the Recycle bin method is the easiest for trying out a fix and restoring it if it doesn't work.

dallascomposer
Finale Version: Finale 26.3.1.643
Operating System: Mac

Post by dallascomposer » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:41 am

Yes, I renamed by prefs files and rebooted. Finale generated new ones, and I still had the problem.

I tried re-installing Finale again, and that also did not work.

All of my other versions of finale are working fine, so am assuming it has something to do specifically with the 64-bit VST plugin. It;s not the DLL file itself, as I copied the file from my laptop, which is working fine. I reinstalled after that didn't work.

Fortunately, I can work in my 2014.5, or just play through MIDI. I'm doing engraving work, not audio work, but this mystery is driving me crazy.

I might try tomorrow uninstalling Finale 25 completely, rebooting, make sure all directories are gone, then reinstalling. I've already saved my custom templates, HP prefs, and my chord library.
Finale 27.3.0.160
MacOS 13.3
iMac 2019; 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5
Graphics: Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB
RAM: 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4