Exported File Loses Human Playback

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

juliepiano
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by juliepiano » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:11 pm

I exported a Finale 2014 (Windows) file played through VST that included Standard Human Playback to a .wav file. The original file included piano pedaling. I then imported the .wav file into Audio Cleaning Lab (music editing software). The pedaling is gone and the music sounds mechanical. What is the proper setup to get human playback qualities into an exported file?
Julie Johnson
Owner, J. Johnson Music Publications
Author of Basics of Keyboard Theory, Ear Training Basics, and Guide to AP Music Theory

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by MikeHalloran » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:08 pm

juliepiano wrote:I exported a Finale 2014 (Windows) file played through VST that included Standard Human Playback to a .wav file. The original file included piano pedaling. I then imported the .wav file into Audio Cleaning Lab (music editing software). The pedaling is gone and the music sounds mechanical. What is the proper setup to get human playback qualities into an exported file?
Audio Cleaning Lab is an inexpensive audio converter. Clearly, something is lost in their process.
http://www.magix.com/us/audio-cleaning-lab/

Your best bet is to use a DAW that preserves all of the formatting of your .wav file for editing. I don't do audio on Windows so I cannot make a recommendation but there are many out there from freeware to fully professional applications.

If you were on a Mac...
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.3, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 13.2.1; 2017 iMac Pro 18 Core, 128G RAM, 4TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer3, Dorico 4, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro