Finale playback issue

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

lpetti
Finale Version: 2010
Operating System: Windows

Post by lpetti » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:07 am

Finale 2010
Windows 10 on a PC

Dear Sir and or Madam

i understand that support for Finale 2010 has been discontinued, however I would appreciate direction to resolve the following issue and which may well be contacting Microsoft directly.

Using Finale 2010 in windows 7 i never had an issue. However the massive issue I have in Windows 10 is with playback.. it will sometimes play all the way through. However, it usually starts playing and then randomly goes into fast forward and then reverse so that the entire piece is garbled. i am terribly frustrated to the point where I have to divide the entire piece into sections and save each section I am working on so i can listen to it without the mass interruptions. Once once complete I merge the sections and then the only way I can listen to the work in its totality is to to use the manual method as playback will not function from the beginning to the end of a work.

As soon as I have completed the 3 works I am working on i will be using an IMAC that was gifted to me and has all the requirements to run my Finale 2010 program.

What I find so disconcerting is there was no forewarning that Finale 2010 would not function properly in Windows 10 and I have no need to upgrade to the most recent version at this point as Finale 2010 has everything I require.

Thank you in advance for you kind, anticipated assistance.

Sincerely

Laura Pettigrew

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:11 pm

If Windows 10 has a Windows 7 compatibility mode, you might try running Finale in compatibility mode.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:01 am

lpetti wrote:What I find so disconcerting is there was no forewarning that Finale 2010 would not function properly in Windows 10 and I have no need to upgrade to the most recent version at this point as Finale 2010 has everything I require.
In fairness, MM did publish a statement about Windows 10 compatibility on July 28 2015 (though now removed). They said that Finale 2012 and above are supported.
http://www.sibeliusblog.com/news/window ... -software/

While that isn't explicit about earlier versions, it's certainly a warning light.

It is always worth checking or testing whether older software will run on a newer OS, and reverting to the old OS or updating the app if needs be.

There have been some significant changes to Finale in the last 7 years, and while 2010 may do everything you need (except work!), you may find the latest version contains improvements that will make things easier or faster.
lpetti wrote:As soon as I have completed the 3 works I am working on i will be using an IMAC that was gifted to me and has all the requirements to run my Finale 2010 program.
Finale files are cross-platform, so there's no reason why you could immediately start working on the iMac. However, bear in mind that there are also various compatibility issues with Finale 2010 and some newer versions of Mac OS X.

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by David Ward » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:50 am

BuonTempi wrote:… …However, bear in mind that there are also various compatibility issues with Finale 2010 and some newer versions of Mac OS X.
As far as I can judge, everything in F 2010 works with El Capitan (and probably Sierra) except ‘Human Playback’ which immediately freezes or crashes it. (Or maybe it's any playback which causes the crash, not just HP.)

(I haven't tried F 2010 for a while, though…)
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6