realistic playback volumes

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

meb
Finale Version: Fin 25-26-27
Operating System: Windows

Post by meb » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:22 am

Any suggestions on how to get more useful, realistic playback from GIFF (Fin 2014.5)?
It seems odd to have a violin or viola solo that is louder than an entire section or which drowns out all the cellos. The percussion sounds seem feeble. Is the bass clarinet too loud? Are the upper brasses loud enough? What adjustments have you made in the score manager settings?

Thanks for any ideas.
MB
Win 8.1, 64-bit, Ram 16G, 3.6Ghz
Fin 2014.5, Fin25, 26, 27
TG Tools Pro, NotePerformer 3.3
Garritan Inst. for Finale, Classic Pipe Organs
Kontakt 3, Bolder Sounds Amer. Folk
Logitech, Z533

meb

Post by meb » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:03 pm

Ron, thanks so much. I had seen one of your previous posts on this question, which gave me the idea I should ask for more details.

Are you also using some additional sound library (like Vienna or some other by Garritan)?

In addition to adjusting the volume in Score Manager (which I've tried doing for a while, thanks to you!) -- I am constantly trying to get a sound that seems impossible, like strings without vibrato or flute jetting or soft mallets on a gong. I think I'm barking up the wrong tree (GIFF).
Do I need to change HP preferences, or should I buy some other sound library?

Really appreciate your comments.
MB
Logitech, Z533

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:11 pm

Adjusting volumes in the score manager is just one element. Some users group the families of instruments separately in unique banks of the Aria player. Woodwinds in Bank 1, Brass in Bank 2, etc. That gives additional control. Basically, however, is that the GIfF are not well balanced in terms of programming. I can't say that GPO is any better, but worth investigating. I use Finale primarily for notation, so I am not as interested in perfect playback. Human Playback, part of this mix, is quite temperamental when it comes to how it handles dynamics, so you can have the most expensive sound set, and still be at the whim of HP. If you really need excellent playback, either customize the MIDI data manually via the MIDI Tool, or export to a DAW and fine tune there. Finale is not really a DAW, so you are dealing with a situation that is less than ideal.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

meb

Post by meb » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:21 pm

Hi, Zuill and Ron.
Thanks for your suggestions.
If I were to group instrument choirs into Aria player banks, as suggested, would the idea be to use the knobs to change velocities to suit and then create a template?

I looked at a revew of GPO5 and the Garritan web site and decided maybe it's worth buying instead of wasting a lot of time arguing with Finale. Then I read your comment about GPO4. Sigh.

What if I want all the GPO5 instruments but don't want détaché except when I actually want détaché? Does détaché pop up frequently or rarely?

Thanks for replying. I appreciate your time and helpfulness.

PS: I've used aria player only when an instrument "disappeared," after which reloading and testing Finale re-inserts GIFF into the score manager (!). Maybe it's supposed to do that, or maybe there's a gremlin in my computer. (Or maybe I just don't understand Aria.)
MB
Logitech, Z533