Precise numerical control over timings

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

davidwbulger
Finale Version: PC 2014
Operating System: Mac

Post by davidwbulger » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:07 am

Suppose I have a Finale score, and also a spreadsheet which indicates the exact time (relative to the start of the piece, of course) at which I'd like each beat to occur. Or, equivalently, the exact length (in milliseconds, say) of each beat. How can I get that data into the Finale document so that playback will occur as required?

I know that the Finale document is capable of storing such data, because it can be entered via "Tempo Tap," but I would like to be able to view and edit, or at least overwrite, that data directly. I'm willing to do some programming if necessary; for instance could I export this as MusicXML, edit the timings under that format, and reimport it? Or would I lose some document features that aren't supported in the MusicXML format?

Thanks!

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:22 am

If you have a DAW that can do this, you can save the Tempo Data as a MIDI file, then open that file in Finale. Then, using copy/paste, you can copy that data into an existing file.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

davidwbulger
Finale Version: PC 2014
Operating System: Mac

Post by davidwbulger » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:45 am

Wow, thanks for your speedy reply, Zuill.

I am not using a DAW, but I can create any needed MIDI file in Matlab. I will experiment with what you suggest & see if I can figure it out. Thanks again.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:10 am

It looks like you're using 2014. Have you looked at the Tempo Tool? You can enter precise values there, but takes time.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."