Glissando playback glitch

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Jonathan
Finale Version: Finale 27.30.137
Operating System: Windows

Post by Jonathan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:59 pm

As shown in the file I will attempt to attach after creating this thread, if there is glissando that starts from a note tied from a previous note, the final note of the glissando will do a sort of inverted mordent. For example, C tied to C gliss to B will do a "BCB" upper mordent on the final B. As you can see in the attached file, various workarounds don't seem to solve this problem. For example, a C followed by C gliss to B without the tie will cause the beginning of the glissando to start two high (as if there were a C# grace note). I know that one work around is to have multiple staves...one for the tie note, and another for the glissando. But with a single instrument, is there any way to get around the glitch?

This is with Finale 2010b r1 on Windows 7.

Thanks for any help!
Last edited by Jonathan on Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:01 pm

This is the attachment (hope it uploads).
Attachments
Glissando error.mus
(41.31 KiB) Downloaded 185 times

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:06 pm

As you can see, bars 1-2 are fine. After that, you can hear the mordent. Bars 5-6 show that it doesn't matter how short the note tied to the next note is. Later, I try to use different layers, but it doesn't matter. If the distance between the first and second Cs is longer than approximately a 16th rest, then the ghost C# appears. However, in bar 18, one sees that the if the first beat is a different pitch, then there is no ghost C#; however, it gets played short even though there is no staccato notated.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:35 am

Okay, I think I found a solution to my own problem:
Glissando glitch - solution.mus
(41.45 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
If you create expression marks that control the pitchwheel, you can simulate the gliss effect with more control. Starting in bar 4, it's really in 8/8, displaying as 4/4, so I can place expression marks closer together. This helps explain perhaps why there's an inverted mordent in the glissando at bar 5: Finale always has to set the pitchwheel slightly before the the beat, so when it sets it to normal pitch, one hears the upper mordent. It's not clear why a glissando without a note tied to the first note works better. However, somehow the glissando happens too soon, which makes the mordent more noticeable. In bar 7, it's in 16/16, so I can control the gliss to be later. The line is not a gliss line, just a shape. So all that's left to do is to have expressions without any text so they're invisible.

Anyhow, if anyone has any better solution, please let me know. :)

oldmkvi
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by oldmkvi » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:48 pm

The a glass starts to soon and too slow, say from a half note, I change it to a dotted quarter tied to an
eighth, and glass from the eighth note.
Or, for fall offs, which never sound good on Finale, I write out a chromatic scale in 32nds, for playback only, of course.