GPO5 Solo Violin

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

altasilvapuer
Finale Version: 2012
Operating System: Windows

Post by altasilvapuer » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:57 am

I recently upgraded from Finale 2012a.r3 with GPO4 to Finale 25/GPO5 and I'm re-inputting a piano quintet that I'd been working on before the upgrade. (I decided that due to the number of fixes I felt I needed to make, combined with a desire for a 'ground test' of the new software, I was going to work from a clean slate and re-input from scratch).

As I progressed through the movement, I noticed that both of my violins seemed to be ignoring the mute designation. On further investigation, worse than that, they seem to default to "Upbows" and ignore any and all markings in the music to the contrary. I've tried manually setting the KS to all sorts of things, but it always seems to want to jump back to upbow. My vioin and 'cello both seem unaffected.

Finale 25 / GPO5:
  1. n-Violin 1 Solo KS
  2. n-Violin 2 Solo KS
  3. n-Viola 1 Solo KS
  4. n-Cello 3 Solo KS
  5. n-Studio B
Finale 2012 / GPO4:
  1. n-Violin 1 Solo KS
  2. n-Violin 2 Solo KS
  3. n-Viola 1 Solo KS
  4. n-Cello 3 Solo KS
  5. n-Steinway Piano
As an aside: When I upgraded, I decided to keep my GPO4 and Finale 2012 installed as a backup and for work-arounds as I learned the new changes and Finale 25/GPO5 are installed on a totally different harddrive, but Aria seems to be able to find both libraries from within both Finale versions. Also, my HP preferences in Finale 25 have a bunch of options that look like they might be for GPO4, but I'm not sure, as I hadn't really gotten into modifying those, yet.

Googling every variation on phrasing the problem I can think of, I'm getting nowhere. Anyone have any ideas what's going on and how to fix it?

-asp

altasilvapuer
Finale Version: 2012
Operating System: Windows

Post by altasilvapuer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:34 am

Update:
I've been doing some more tinkering with the library in Finale, and I've noticed that Finale wants to default to "Personal Orchestra 5->Notation->10 Garritan Orchestral Strings->Solo Strings->05 Solo KS Groups->n-01 Violin 1 KS" for a solo violin instrument. Instead, I am trying to use "Personal Orchestra 5->Notation->07 Solo Strings->01 Violin->n-Violin 1 Solo KS." The latter (and its counterpart, "/n-Violin 2 Solo KS") allows me to have slightly different sounds for my first and second violinists and also has the KS patches for mutes, which I need in this work.

Looking in the human playback preferences, they seem to have everything programmed to match the keyswitches for the GOS instrument: (SustainVib/LushForte/Sfz/Detache/...etc). I think the program is registering what should be detache and applying the keyswitch (3) for the GOS instrument to the GPO5 Solo String one I have selected, where keyswitch 3 is "upbow," instead. Does anyone have any insights into the Human Playback settings (especially selecting the filters so it actually registers the correct instrument) to get this working? I've found the manuals for GPO and Finale to be patently unhelpful in this regard.

-asp