Scrolling cursor absent in page view

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Boneman5
Finale Version: PC 2012

Post by Boneman5 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:32 pm

My issue is that I have an absent scrolling cursor whilst in page view but appears in scroll view.

The background to this issue, is like other users I wanted to have a countoff included in the export to audio. This is not possible as we know at the moment.

Adding a count in measure as part of the piece is the only way to do this, but I didn't want to have the measure to be seen as part of a print out or playback.

So I have gone through a process of adding the first measure, making it woodblocks, not including the measure in numbering then hiding and collapsing the woodblock staff and also the countoff measure. Then formatting the page layout so that it looks good and you cannot tell that there is an extra measure.

It works wonderfully well, but unfortunately, that now means that the cursor does not appear or scroll.
NB. Scrolling playback is selected in playback settings.

This could be a glitch in finale that could be rectified in a future update.

Please see an included example
file.

Thanks for any help.
Tony

Finale 25.3.0.276
Windows 10 64bit on PC
Attachments
Dynamic Study.musx
(86.94 KiB) Downloaded 172 times

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:54 pm

It's because of the hidden measure. Of course it's not right, but frankly it seems pretty minor to me. Can you start playback at measure 2, or is it intended that someone play along? In the latter case, maybe put the click bar on a previous page and don't hide it.

Boneman5

Post by Boneman5 » Mon May 01, 2017 12:28 am

Most of my work with finale deals with using backing tracks for students to learn pieces by.
So it is rather important for me.

Further to my first post, if I use cutaway for the first measure, the scrolling works.
Unfortunately, using this cutaway, doesn't allow for page layout resizing of the first system as much as I would like. Too much gap. Pity there is no way that I know of to have a system resize for 1 system only.

On this, I select "start a new staff system" for the 2nd bar, so as to get all clefs, times and keys at the beginning of the 2nd measure showing correctly.

The suggestion to have the 2nd measure on a new page would work well, except it becomes even more finicky to add titles etc. to the 2nd page for print and also changing page numbers.

If only finale could export with countoff. Or a plugin.

Of course I could add count in beats via audacity or the like but again a lot of extra effort for hundreds of pieces.
Thanks for the reply.
Tony

motet

Post by motet » Mon May 01, 2017 12:57 am

-
Last edited by motet on Mon May 01, 2017 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

motet

Post by motet » Mon May 01, 2017 2:03 am

Here, this works. I removed all your staff styles, used Hide Empty Staves from the Staff tool, then applied Force Hide Staff (Cut-Away) to the click measure. Don't ask me why this works!

I switched it to MIDI playback because VST didn't work on my system, but you can put it back.
Attachments
Dynamic Study2.musx
(87.29 KiB) Downloaded 168 times

Boneman5

Post by Boneman5 » Mon May 01, 2017 7:58 am

Excellent.
This achieved what I wished with just a couple more adjustments.
Thank you for your help.

This whole exercise was to get a good countoff measure for export to a wave file, and have a scrolling cursor in page view.
The elements that were done to get to this point were:

1. Add woodblock instrument in Score Manager (you may need to load percussion layout.lib if error window pops up)
2. right click first measure and choose "Insert measure stack", click ok for one measure
3. Add lead in beats in new measure. You have a choice of either high woodblock or low woodblock
4. Expression Tool: Add a dynamic (ff)
5. Measure Tool: double click first measure and deselect "include in measure numbering". click ok
6. Measure Tool: double click second measure and select "begin a new staff system". click ok
7. Measure Tool: Select all Woodblock staff, right click and Apply staff style "hide staff and collapse"
8. Measure Tool: right click first measure and apply staff style "force hide staff (cutaway)"
9. Page Layout Tool: Resize first system to as small as possible. (this may be quite large the more instruments that are being used)
10. Page Layout Tool: Deselect "Avoid margin collision" under Page Layout menu and drag 2nd system up to desired position
11. On playback controls palette, set tempo box to required tempo, as the tempo is set on the 2nd measure by an expression, which may not be the same.