Create custom playback for percussion stave

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

username321
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by username321 » Fri May 05, 2017 8:41 pm

Hello

First of all, thank you for this forum. I just saw today that the original forums closed down, which is a shame, as I always found help there.

On-topic: I have a piece where one stave contains 2 woodblocks and three temple blocks. I managed to get it done by creating a custom stave setting via the score manager so the quintet is on one stave. However, playback is not ok. I still get the basic percussion midimap. Can anyone guide me how to set up the correct way to playback this staff please?

I work with Finale 25 on Mac, and I use the Garritan instruments (but I have never really experimented with custom playback settings in Finale)

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Fri May 05, 2017 9:03 pm

We probably need to examine your file to see what map and layout you are using. Are you using the GIfF sounds?

Zuill

P.S.: I've attached a sample of what can be done. The easiest way to do it is to assign a different map to each of 2 layers. Since the GIfF samples have an error regarding High and Low Woodblocks (yes, I have reported this, a long time ago), one needs to use the High block for the low sound, and vice versa.
Attachments
Wood Block-Temple Block Hybrid Staff.musx
(85.9 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

username321

Post by username321 » Sat May 06, 2017 9:50 am

Seems my reply did not come through as I cannot post URLs yet.

@Zuill: I tried your file but Finale asks to assign sounds, I click OK, and then I only have the basic percussion again.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Sat May 06, 2017 1:42 pm

Oh well. Works for me. I guess you are not using the same sounds. I use the GIfF set.

Zuill

P.S.: I've attached a sound file that demonstrates what the sound should be.
Attachments
Wood Block-Temple Block Hybrid Staff.zip
(68.43 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

gullings

Post by gullings » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:48 pm

I'd like to follow up on this, as I'm having the same playback problem. I use Finale v.25, usually on Mac but also on Windows sometimes.

Zuill, the audio file you attached to this thread sounds very close to how I want my playback. (My score actually calls for just 5 temple blocks, no woodblocks.) When I opened your sample MUSX file and pressed Play, I was asked to assign instrument sounds automatically. In Score Manager > Instrument List, the Device chosen was Garritan Instruments for Finale, but the Sound is "Percussion> Fusion Drum Kit", and the Percussion MIDI Map selected is "GIfF> Jazz Fusion Drum Kit".

My playback sounds include high and low woodblock sounds (reversed as you said) only, with all temple blocks sounding the same as low woodblocks.

I'd like to know what Sound setting you've chosen to get the temple blocks playback. I imagine it's not Fusion Drum Kit! Is there a "Woodblocks" or "Temple Blocks" option, and if so, what menu do you see it under? Maybe I need to (re-)install / configure my sound libraries in order to see that option?

gullings

Post by gullings » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:14 pm

Oh! Correction. I'm working on Finale 2014.5 on my Mac, and Finale v.25 on my Windows machine. Maybe they have different instrument choices??...