Will a brass VST library help?

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Vombatidae
Finale Version: 25.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by Vombatidae » Wed May 10, 2017 2:29 am

I've been a Finale user for 20 years, but over the last few years I have moved from simple arrangements and transcriptions to original compositions, primarily for brass quintet and brass band. I'm using Finale 25.3 and GIFF on Windows 64, by the way.

The problem I run into is that when trying to write moderately dense, somewhat complex harmonies (like a five-note quartal) the low brass sound like a swarm of random sawtooth LFOs drowning in a mudbath. Turning off human playback helped a little, but not nearly enough. I'm not looking for production level sound quality, but being able to hear that the notes are correct is a minimum requirement.

I would be more than willing to buy Garritan CoMB2 or something similar if it would help - I would prefer actual cornets and British baritones anyway. My fear is that I will spend the money, waste a week trying to configure it, and still have sonic sludge.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by MikeHalloran » Thu May 18, 2017 2:21 pm

Of course it will help but no one can really predict to what degree—we aren't you, don't compose like you and don't have your expectations. CoMB2 does have cornets and baris but I don't know about British baris. Click on Learn More to see the instrument groups and solos.

https://www.garritan.com/products/conce ... ng-band-2/

$149 is inexpensive once you get into the world of VIs. Sometimes resellers will have better prices than buying directly from MM.

Google is your friend for the best prices. Also to see what other brass libraries are out there.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.3, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 13.2.1; 2017 iMac Pro 18 Core, 128G RAM, 4TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer3, Dorico 4, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro