Tempo Woes

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Maryk4music
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by Maryk4music » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:31 am

I'm having problems getting my piece to playback at the correct tempo.
The starting tempo is set to quarter note equals 108.
When I shift click to start playback at other points in the score, it usually plays back at about half the speed,
though recently it's been playing back faster than the designated tempo as well.
Sometimes starting playback from the beginning using the playback controls will solve the tempo issue, though I have to listen through pages of music to get to the point I really want to hear. Using the playback controls to start at a specific measure further in the score will sometimes fix the tempo issue, but not always.
Has anyone else experienced these kind of issues?
I'm on a Mac using Finale 25, though I had the same problems with Finale 2014.5.

Also I've noticed the human playback does not work when I shift click the score, only when I use the playback controls.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:14 pm

Make sure you choose Dynamics and Markings: Chase from First Measure in the Playback/Record options.

I believe it's a "feature" that space-click bypasses HP.

Maryk4music
Finale Version: 25

Post by Maryk4music » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:35 pm

I changed the setting. So far, so good.
I'll keep you posted.

Yes, I think the lack of HP in click play is just part of the way the program works.
It would be nice to have this corrected or at least have the option to include HP, even if it takes longer to load.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:44 pm

Maryk4music wrote:… It would be nice to have this corrected or at least have the option to include HP, even if it takes longer to load.
You can use the MIDI Tool to {Apply Human Playback} to the document’s MIDI data.

Look at the bottom of the MIDI Tool menu.

This step will write the Human Playback interpretation into the MIDI data so that you can play the document back with
Human Playback toggled off (= no waiting time for HP to load) - and the playback will sound with Human Playback.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996