Attack of Strings and Constant Loudness

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jamesadrian
Finale Version: 25.4.0.155
Operating System: Mac

Post by jamesadrian » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:02 pm

I have found the sound I want for a six-voice piece. Some sounds are capable of constant volume. This one is not. Long notes waver in loudness. The wavering is always there, but it is less obvious in the case of short notes.

In the sore manager, each voice is named String Ensemble. Each voice device is SmartMusic SoftSynth. The sound for each voice is called Slow Strings. The Prg is 50 and the bank is 1.

The six voices are adjusted to different octaves.

The sound is wonderful and the attack for pitch changes is very mild and that is what I want; however, the long notes are very unattractive because their loudness goes up and down about twice per second. This is the case with many sounds that I have tried. This flaw does not exist in the case of a coronet sound, for instance. I don't want any of the sounds for which the wavering is not there, although I wish I could get rid of the wavering in the sound that I want.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

Jim Adrian
Jim Adrian
Finale 27
Mac OS version 10.13.6

jamesadrian
Finale Version: 25.4.0.155
Operating System: Mac

Post by jamesadrian » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:14 pm

I worry that I will need to wait for another update of Finale to correct this wavering loudness problem on long duration notes.

To solve this problem, is there a way to record my own voice in a sustained monotone for each pitch in an octave or two and have those tones become an instrument in Finale? If so, I would then need to use the G clef and be able to transpose the voices to remote octaves to get the whole range of a piano.

Thank you for your help.

Jim Adrian
Jim Adrian
Finale 27
Mac OS version 10.13.6