Coordinating Aria with the Score Manager

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

gogreen
Finale Version: Finale 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by gogreen » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:47 pm

I'm focusing on scores created in previous, yet recent, versions of Finale, and changing instrument assignments. For instance, I might reassign channels to GPO5 instruments from GPO4 instruments, or I might reassign GPO5 and COMB2 woodwind and brass instruments to individual channels and combinations that now sound better to me.

The score manager seems to assign banks, devices, instruments and channels randomly, and I'm never sure which way to approach a change--channel assignments in Aria instances first and then checking the assignments in the score manager, or starting in the score manager and checking assignments in Aria channels. Either way, it seems, devices, banks, instruments and channel assignments change in the score manager during this process.

I've searched the tutorials, and I see nothing that explains how to coordinate use of the Aria player with the score manager, and how the two work together. I also see nothing on how to change assignments without the score manager randomly assigning instruments, devices, banks and channels.

Taming this seemingly convoluted process would greatly speed my workflow. Did I miss a tutorial or other instructions somewhere?
Art
Finale 27
NotePerformer, GPO5, COMB2
MacOS Ventura 13.6.4
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BRHBTHT/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=%22Arthur+J.+Michaels%22&qid=1593016536&sr=8-2

ttw
Finale Version: 27.4
Operating System: Windows

Post by ttw » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:26 am

I've noted (so to speak) the same behavior. I seem to get the best results by either changing instruments with the "Change Instrument" utility followed by a correction (if necessarily like from a "player" to a "solo") using the Score Manager. I think Aria follows along pretty well. I did have a bit of trouble changing things directly in the Aria Player using "VST Banks and Effects" tab.

Of course, the plural if "anecdote" isn't "data"; I've not done any extensive experimentation.