How to change individual instrument volume in Aria Player

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Zammis four five
Finale Version: Finale 26.3.1.520
Operating System: Windows

Post by Zammis four five » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:56 pm

How to change the individual instrument volume in Aria Player?

Finale Version: 25.4.1.152
Windows 7 ultimate x64
GPO5: Sam french horn solo 1, 2, Sam trumpet solo and Sam trombone solo.

Hello Makemusic Forum Members, this is my first post here!

Dear friends, I would like to know how to change the individual volume of the instruments in Aria Player. I ask, because when I use kontakt as Finale player, I do a pre-mix already organizing the trumpets and trombones (whether in nipes or solo) with their respective volumes a little higher than the French horns.

This preconfiguration in Kontakt allows me to gain time with regard to orchestration (for more realistic and faster purposes). But now that I'm using Project Sam's brass that come with GPO5, I'm having trouble performing this simple action. For example, I'm using two solo horns, one solo trumpet and one solo trombone. The instruments are combined to form a chord sequence. The problem is that in the range played, the horns are sounding more than the trumpet and the trombone, which, in reality, is impossible.
exemple.jpg
exemple.jpg (28.88 KiB) Viewed 2308 times
I could change the dynamics choosing to display trumpet's F as FF, and repeat the procedure for the trombone, but I find this solution very unprofessional (considering the standard range of MIDI values, from 0-127, If FFF becomes equal to 127, there is no value coming from a trumpet in FFFF!) and time consuming due to replication of visually alike dynamics that sound different, making the biggest mess in the expression menu!

Thanks a lot for any help guys!
Zammis Four, Five!
Windows 8.1 PRO 64bits; Intel Core I7-4770 3.40GHz, 16 GB RAM
Finale 2014.5; Finale 26.3.1.520; Kontakt 6 with a lot of sample libs; Aria Player/Engine (GPO5-GHarps-IO- JABB3-WI); Miroslav Philharmonik 1 & 2.

Zammis four five
Finale Version: Finale 26.3.1.520
Operating System: Windows

Post by Zammis four five » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:39 pm

Hello dear moderators and forum members, although I am not an expert like you guys, I researched a little and discovered some results that were not as positive as I expected. It seems to mee that there is no easy solution to this problem except using the outdated MIDI Tool menu interface (a menu of very high relevance for those who need MIDI customization capabilities, but the interface is not friendly at all and with little "official" coverage by tutorials like those created by Lynda: Finale 2014 Essential Training and Finale 25 update overview).

So, I leave here my criticism related to Finale's dedicated sample player and to Finale's MIDI editing:

Finale has three mixer visualization options: Mixer from Window's menu, Studio view sub-menu and Aria Player mixer sub-menu, but in none of them it is possible to perform that operation easily executed in the Kontaky player. This type of operation should be easily executed on any decent sample player, like Best Service's Engine, Steinberg's HALion, even in the old W.Grabowski's Samplelord. At the end, it looks to me that this kind of stuff is what makes KONTAKT a professional player, unlike Plogue Art et Technologie product, a completely simple and limited one.

And since this type of operation can not be performed easily via Aria player, there should be an option where this operation could be quickly solved in a similar way to Sonic Scores' Overture, Presonus' Notion, or even in the "newbie" Steinberg's Dorico, where it is possible to view and edit MIDI data directly on the traditional staff, without having to use MIDI Tool menu (deserving an update, in the sense of enabling something like a sequencer visualization, where you can edit MIDI data like some "short and stretch" features, something that has become a fairly common operation in the previously cited Finale's competitors.
Overture Midi Editing.png
Overture Midi Editing.png (226.74 KiB) Viewed 2268 times
Notion Midi Editing.jpg
Notion Midi Editing.jpg (24.37 KiB) Viewed 2268 times
Dorico Midi Editing.png
Dorico Midi Editing.png (68.95 KiB) Viewed 2268 times
I remember the time when users said that hybridization between notation software and DAW was something impossible and even undesirable. These previously cited companies are daring more than Makemusic, who did an excellent job with regard to musical notation, but just keep repackaging the same old MIDI Tool interface design, devoting little attention to what promotes easy editing/customization of MIDI data.

It seems to me that Makemusic's attention seems to be focused on "-ok guys, use human playback, focus on music notation and forget about everything else" features, but there are users who need the refinement and customization of MIDI capacities and this is what has caused customers to migrate to these new platforms: the combination between music notation and MIDI editing in a much more dynamic and easy way. I believe that in the near future (maybe in ten years or less), this type of procedure will be the default, making the migration to softwares that continues to innovate in the adventure of hybridization between notation and DAW softwares inevitable.

As I said, I am no expert and if anyone can point out a solution to the problem I would be very happy! Again, thanks for the attention and time dedicated to keeping this forum so relevant.
Zammis Four, Five!
Windows 8.1 PRO 64bits; Intel Core I7-4770 3.40GHz, 16 GB RAM
Finale 2014.5; Finale 26.3.1.520; Kontakt 6 with a lot of sample libs; Aria Player/Engine (GPO5-GHarps-IO- JABB3-WI); Miroslav Philharmonik 1 & 2.