Volume issue

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jdpmus
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by jdpmus » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:37 pm

I'm constantly running into volume issues with different parts in Finale. Today I played in a string line using hyper scribe, which I use about 50% of the time. The volume of the violin section (GIFF) is way too low no matter how hard I play it in. Tweaking it with the midi tool doesn't seem to do anything nor does entering in a loud dynamic

Also, I've started trying the drum groove plug-in which writes the notes correctly. It too plays at too low a volume. For this part of the score I'm using Garritan Jazz and Big Band samples with the classic drum set. Again, pumping up the velocity with the midi tool does nothing.

I've checked the mixer and everything is pretty balanced at -4db. Even pushing the drums up to 0 does not give me any kind of solid sound.

Suggestions?

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:08 pm

Garritan samples are notoriously all over the map in terms of volume. You'll have more stable playback volume and control using SmartMusic SoftSynth.

Having said that, Garritan samples also, in some cases, don't respond well to Velocity MIDI Data settings, and seem to be controlled more with Volume MIDI Data. Without seeing a file, it would be hard to give precise advice.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

jdpmus

Post by jdpmus » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:20 pm

My experience has been that the SoftSynth sounds are pretty lame. I do have access to the samples in Logic, which I am also not too fond of, and I have the Miroslav samples though they're a lower bit rate.

Thanks for that suggestion. Let me upload the file and see what you can discover from it.
Attachments
End Credits.musx
Currently there is only 16 or so bars, but this is the one I'm referring to.
(112.05 KiB) Downloaded 160 times

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:41 pm

I only mentioned SoftSynth to compare responsiveness to dynamics.

One thing that can help is to put any instrument that needs a boost into the same bank, then boost the volume of that bank. That worked with my experiment with your file. Also, there might be settings in the HP style affecting the outcome. You might want to work customizing that.

In the file you posted, the drums were set to Solo, so that was the only instrument I heard. Guitar and Piano were also muted.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

jdpmus

Post by jdpmus » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:58 pm

Thanks for taking the time to sort through my file. You're correct about the drums being soloed; I was trying to boost them by looking at the mixer.

I'll try your workaround on setting the volumes in the banks. I've had to do that before when I was wanting to make a scratch demo for a client and needed more gain to record. I had forgotten that solution.

Thanks again. I appreciate your taking time to check this for me.