Finale/Pro Tools 12 Rewire Assistance

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

johnmusic992648
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by johnmusic992648 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:37 pm

Hello Everybody!

Thank you so much for any help you can provide in advance. I am a bit of a troglodyte when it comes to music production (even though I'm a film composer) so my question may make some of you laugh in its simplicity.

I recently upgraded from Finale 2012 to 25, and was really surprised to find that all video support had gone away - but I rolled with the punches. I figured out how to create a track and ReWire Finale into Pro Tools 12 (even though the extra step is SUCH a butt-pain).

However, as soon as Finale opens, I get the message "Unable to open selected MIDI Port. This may be due to another application using the same port." Obviously this is because Pro Tools is using MIDI as well, but I've gone through and poked around and don't see it actually using my Artis keyboard as an IN in any place. Though, I may be missing an options menu.

I have also poked around Finales' settings a bit to try and circumvent the issue, but I REALLY don't want to screw around with settings too much and botch everything up. I have never had to do this much troubleshooting or detective work when I just want to compose a dang cue for a project!

I've attached a screenshot of my MIDI Setup in Finale 25. If anyone can offer any advice on how to get around this problem, still be able to use Speedy Entry when Finale is slave to Pro Tools, and not screw up my MIDI Setup for general use on either program, I'd really appreciate it!

Thank you!
John
Attachments
MIDI Setup Example.jpg
MIDI Setup Example.jpg (96.18 KiB) Viewed 2464 times