GPO5 solo violin trills?

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Michel R E » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:51 pm

I notice that if I use one of the GPO5 solo violins it does not recognize playback of trills.
I fiddled (yes, pun fully intended) around with the Keyswitches for that instrument and found that there were two trill Keyswitches, one for a half-step trill, the other for a full-step.
However, they seem to function differently than previous versions of GPO... it would seem these require one to repeatedly strike a note, and upon each release the "trill to" note plays.

Other than actually writing out a sequence of repeated notes and adding some sort of hidden marking to use this Keyswitch, is there another way to get Finale (25) to recognize the trill for playback?

I've tried copy/pasting the passage to a string section, and the trill functions fully there. It appears to only be a problem on the solo violin.

I guess if there's no solution I'll have to choose another solo violin from some other library, but I'm curious about this particular situation, and if there's a fix for it.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:54 am

Is this the case with all the GPO5 solo violins? The GIfF Solo Violin seems to trill nicely.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:18 am

I haven't gotten around to doing a lot of testing.
I'll have to create a blank document and see how the various violins react.
I so rarely have occasion to use the Garritan solo violins (I do use the old Garritan Stradivari Solo Violin, but in Finale 2012, since it was not supported in later versions of Finale).
I'll get back to you tomorrow.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

jbearch
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by jbearch » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:59 pm

I just discovered the same problem. With violins and cellos in my case.

jbearch

Post by jbearch » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:08 pm

I tried all the solo violins in GPO5 and none of them will trill. I switched to the violins in the earlier Garritan version and they trilled nicely. But the sound is not so good and a little weak. Is this a Garritan problem maybe? Up to now I sort of liked the GPO5. For now I am glad I kept the old version but I hope the problem can be corrected.
Jeff

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:56 am

I'm going to raise this with support and on the Garritan forum. There's a guy there who's pretty technical and has offered fixes to the .sfz text files -- like the trick for extending the range of an instrument.

Apropos of nothing, the Violin 2 KS and Violin Solo 3 KS in the GIFF samples have the complete GPO set of 12 keyswitches, rather than the standard 3 switches of all other GIFF KS instruments. MM told me they were added "by mistake".

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:22 am

Thank you for contacting MakeMusic! This is a deliberate decision to allow you more flexibility and precision when working with the solo versions of the string patches. This can allow for variations in timing and expression making it easier to get a more realistic performance. Unfortunately, we don't have a way to modify the sfz files to make these more like the section strings so you will need to initiate multiple attacks when you need a sustained trill in your work.

ttw
Finale Version: 27.4

Post by ttw » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:52 pm

I guess one could create a trill symbol that doesn't play and use a hidden staff with the written out trill on it. Of course, I'm not sure how to make this work around display better. (I tend to write for computer so lots of stuff is written out and overly articulated. Maybe someday I'll find some live performers.)

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:26 am

Michel R E wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:51 pm
I notice that if I use one of the GPO5 solo violins it does not recognize playback of trills.
Human Playback seems to fill in the trill for me, though it's pretty poor and there doesn't seem to be a mechanism for flexibility and precision.

jbearch

Post by jbearch » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:16 am

I am still waiting for information and/or a solution from support. They asked me for a copy of the file I am working on. I will be interested in what they come up with. But as an interim solution I used the tremolo plugin to make fake trills without the trill sign. I can do this only because I don't intend the file to be printed out for performance. It is only for the playback as demo. With any other piece this will be a big problem if I want both, printout and playback. I hope the problem can be solved.

Jeffrey

jbearch

Post by jbearch » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:00 pm

I just got a solution from support. The idea was to export the file to XML, then import it back. For some reason the trills all played as they should. I have no idea why but it seems to work.
Here are the exact instructions:

Open your document in Finale
Choose File > Export > MusicXML
Save your document as an XML file to your desktop
Choose File > Close
Choose File > Import > MusicXML. Select the file you just saved to the desktop and click Open
Choose File > Save As to save the new document as a Finale file and give it a new filename
Once the new Finale file has been saved, you can delete the XML file from your desktop

I hope it helps.
Jeffrey

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:13 pm

jbearch wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:00 pm
I have no idea why but it seems to work.
Rinsing through XML is Support's answer for everything. At best, it cleans up any oddness in the original file's data, and restores various settings to your defaults.