Mixer has changed volume settings without my input

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by David Ward » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:18 pm

In September last year, I exported an audio file from a Finale 2014.5 score for substantial vocal and orchestral forces. In order to make the balance acceptable I made numerous adjustments via the Mixer and/or Score Manager to the various instrumental and vocal channels (some GIFF, some SoftSynth). Most instruments (or voices) had the levels set to somewhere between 70 and 110, but I had to reduce the maniacally loud mandolin to 11, the contrabass clarinet to 40 &c.

Anyway, the result was acceptable within the expected limits. Subsequently I opened and edited the file from time to time, at first in F 2014.5, but from April this year in F 25. I have just again made a number of edits, and afterwards I thought that in passing I might as well check the playback. Although many of my volume adjustments were retained, others had gone completely haywire. The mandolin was again nonsensically loud, as was the CB Clar. Even more oddly, while the second oboe was at 97 (likely where I originally had it) the first oboe was reduced to 8, and something similar happened with the two harps: the second was at a reasonable 65, but the first was reduced to 3 (and was inaudible).

At no time during my edits since Sept 2016 did I open the Mixer window, and the volume column in the Score Manager was not even revealed.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what I may have done (I'm assuming it was me!) that could have caused these oddities? Everything else about the file seems to be as it should.

Has anybody else experienced this?
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

David Ward

Post by David Ward » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:51 am

Just a thought: if I had inadvertently clicked on Reset Panning under the MIDI/AUDIO menu, could that conceivably have had the effect described above?

EDIT: No, that doesn't seem to have any effect on volume levels. It remains a complete mystery: intriguing, rather than worrying for me, as I don't rely on playback. However, it might be disconcerting for those who do need it, if carefully set volume levels can suddenly change for no identified reason. That's why I thought it might be worth investigating.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:51 pm

If you reset the levels, then reopen the file, do they change back to the unwanted levels? If so, maybe there is MIDI data causing the change.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

David Ward

Post by David Ward » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:05 pm

zuill wrote:If you reset the levels, then reopen the file, do they change back to the unwanted levels?
No, they are now staying as I want. However, something to do with MIDI data might possibly have been the original cause, even though all is now apparently OK.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6