midi files exported from Finale play at very low volume

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

detlef
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by detlef » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:22 pm

Hello
I produce music with Cubase 5 and various Kontakt libraries. I just discovered how nice is to export midi files directly from Finale and load them into Cubase to take advantage of the Human Playback features.
However I have a problem: when a Finale midi file is imported it plays at extremely low volume. It is not a matter of fader settings, the meters in Kontakt just show very low audio activity.

The only way to solve the problem is to close and reload the Kontakt instrument or the whole Cubase, at this point the midi plays fine.
However when the Cubase project is saved and reopened (without closing Cubase), the problem persist.

I tried to re-export the midi file in Cubase and this solution only works at random.

It seems the problem affect especially LA String libraries, other instruments works fine.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

detlef

Post by detlef » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:28 pm

Anyone can help?

I'll try to explain the issue better.
When a midi file produced in Finale is imported into Cubase 5 it appears as an Aria player instance.
Then I move this midi file into a newly created track which feed Kontakt 5 with whatever library, in this case LASS (LA Scoring Strings)

This is all business as usual and all works as it should. Problem is when the Cubase project is closed then reopend, audio on the LASS instrument (any intruments) is barely audible.
Kontakt cursors goes up and down accordingly to Human Playback instructions, but audio is very low.

Only ways to bring audio to a normal level is either reload the LASS instrument, or completely restart Cubase.

At first I thought there was something to change in Finale's Human Playback settings, then I found out that problem persist even in plain midi files exported with HP turned off.

It seems only LASS libaries are affected. It's my main strings library with more than 10GB of files.

Does anyone knows if it's possible to import a Finale midi file in Cubase without appearing as an ARIA Player instance?

detlef

Post by detlef » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:12 pm

Problem was solved by changing device in the Score manager from Garritan Instrument to SmartMusic.