Playback on P I M A symbols

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Sfardaklas
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by Sfardaklas » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:19 am

Hello there friends, I have a little problem I hope you can help with. I write pieces for classical guitar and I insert p, i, m, a symbols for the right (or left) hand. I load the tablature --> guitar articulations.lib for this. The problem is that on the playback, the program plays a trille where the letter m (medio) is and I cannot figure out why. TY

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:16 am

Human Playback interprets the letter m character as a mordent.

To avoid the mordent playback you can toggle Human Playback off.

If you need Human Playback in this particular document, replace the articulation m with a shape articulation where you in the Shape Designer enter a text block with the very same letter m.
Human Playback will not interprete a shape articulation as a mordent.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Sfardaklas
Finale Version: Finale 2014

Post by Sfardaklas » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:47 am

Ah, thank you so much, there are so many features in this program. I have another question if you don't mind. I input an 8th note triplet which I want to be legato (hammer-on followed by pull-off). Despite the fact I put a slur on the triplet, on the playback I don't hear the legato sound, it plays the triplet normally. Sorry for bad grammar and thank you again.

FwL
Finale Version: 2010, 25.5

Post by FwL » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:56 pm

There's no separate sample for slurred notes in any of the stock sounds you get with Finale that I'm aware of. Finale handles slurs by playing the notes slightly longer so they bleed together, but you won't really get a true slur sound. For that you'd have to use a sample set that includes slurred notes.
A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules... often with the aid of unsuspecting musicians - Frank Zappa