Any playback of legato?

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:36 am

I contacted MakeMusic, asking if the Slur Tool has any function in playback, such as when indicating legato or guitar hammer-ons that appear in the manual. I received a sales pitch, recommending I upgrade to the latest version. I doubt if anyone there will read my response: I said if the latest version can play what is written, such as legato and guitar hammer-ons, it would be a good incentive to upgrade.

Yes, Finale is primarily notation software; but if incorporating playback, make it work.

FwL
Finale Version: 2010, 25.5

Post by FwL » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:28 am

There's nothing for them to make work. In order to get legato sounds, you have to have samples that include legato playing. You simply can't expect a notation program to come with that level of samples. The price would be quite a bit higher than it already is.

Have you considered buying more advanced samples? I'm sure there must be some guitar stuff out there that is pretty amazing.
A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules... often with the aid of unsuspecting musicians - Frank Zappa

Djard

Post by Djard » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:10 am

I thought it was logical to expect Finale to play what it is capable of writing, since a lot of what we write can be played back. But I appreciate what you say, and it helps to adopt your more pragmatic view.

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:00 am

It's not a question of pragmatism.
The library that is included with Finale is a "sampler" of what are already mid to low-end sample libraries (the various Garritan libraries), and it is being offered as such, free of charge.

You can certainly purchase a more expensive guitar library, there are many on the market. And within those you will definitely have different kinds of articulations that Garritan Instruments for Finale does not include.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

Djard

Post by Djard » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:12 am

I must have missed the part that states the library of sounds is free when reading the book that came with the software. But I appreciate what you say and will search further for a plug-in.

The problem I encountered in the past with plug-ins is that most are for electric guitar; and while a sample recording might sound non-synthetic, when installed the plug-in was awful: the lower frequencies were uncharacteristic of a classical or flamenco instrument. But I have tried only one. If you know of a VST plugin that actually sounds like a Hauser, Ramirez, Fleta, Rejes, Gerundino, Esteso, Maldonado, Fernandez or any of the concert instruments, please make a recommendation. I will eagerly invest in such as long as one supports legato, hammer-ons, and string pull-offs. One that also renders genuinely natural and artificial harmonics would be nice.

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:23 pm

Djard wrote:I must have missed the part that states the library of sounds is free when reading the book that came with the software.
The price of Finale has not changed (other than any gradual upward creep in price from inflation) since before the Garritan libraries were included with the software.
Finale was around $600 some 20+ years ago when I first bought it, and a new licence is about the same price now. So the inclusion of Garritan Instruments for Finale hasn't altered the price at all, ergo: it's free. It doesn't have to be in the documentation, although the website does say that Finale "includes" the GIfF library.

Like for all Finale users, the difficulty is finding a sample library that plays well with Finale and HumanPlayback.
One does still need to remember that Finale is first and foremost an engraving program, but with the advantage of a relatively sophisticated playback function. However, that playback function is not at the same level as one would find even in the most basic DAW (some of which are available for as little as $60).

So if you're looking for extreme realism of complex playback, you will most likely not get it from using Finale alone with some other library.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

Djard

Post by Djard » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:48 pm

Thank you . Your comments are very helpful to me.