"stuck" notes with midi keyboard in simple entry

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

SGB
Finale Version: Finale 2011b PC

Post by SGB » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:39 pm

I have seen numerous posts about "stuck" or hanging notes from Midi keyboards. I have Finale 2011, Win 7, and an M-Audio Oxygen49 keyboard with the latest drivers. I have similar problems. I like to sound out my entries on my Midi keyboard before entering them with simple or Speedy entry using my mouse or keyboard. When pressing my midi keys in simple entry (with midi entry unchecked), I experience "stuck" midi notes about every third or fourth note. It seems to happen more often when the attack is fast. It stops if the note is pressed again. If the midi symbol on the menu is activated or if I go to All notes off, it stops, but it is very frustrating. A program this expensive, should be able to solve these issues which seem to have been going on for a long time.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:17 pm

Contact tech support, and give them the details of your system. The more info they have, the better they can work on the problem.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

sschimel
Finale Version: Finale 2017.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by sschimel » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:40 pm

I have this problem in speedy entry. I've read that m-audio interfaces are the culprit, so I called Finale and they had no solution. SO I called Casio (I use a WK-3000 keyboard) and the didn't have a solution but were supposed to have someone call me back, which hasn't happened yet. I bought a Yamaha midi-usb interface and it lessened the problem, but I still get stuck notes both in finale and on the keyboard. The only way to cut off the notes is to click out of speedy entry. It really interrupts the workflow. I can't tell if it's a problem with the midi cut off, or with shmutz in the keyborard, or both. And I can't afford to buy a new keyboard, so I'm at a loss at this point.
"Musick has Charms to sooth a savage Breast" William Congreve, in The Mourning Bride, 1697

mike1127

Post by mike1127 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:50 am

I never had this problem when I was using Finale 2010 with Windows XP. I recently started using F 2011 with Win 7, and now it's a huge annoyance. Apparently Finale misses certain MIDI events such as note off events. No other MIDI applications on my computer do this-- they all receive midi events reliably.

By any chance has anyone been using F 2010 with no trouble, and then noticed the problem when moving to F 2011?

mike1127

Post by mike1127 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:53 am

Found a solution in F2011. The weirdest thing. I set the MIDI input configuration to "None." Speedy entry still reads my MIDI keyboard just fine, and now it doesn't have any stuck or omitted notes. Huh? Can't complain!

EDIT: doesn't work any more. Only worked until I restarted Finale later, and then it just didn't take keyboard input. I'm not sure how to get it to work reliably.

PTravel
Finale Version: PC 2012
Operating System: Mac

Post by PTravel » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:00 pm

This worked for me:

Open Finale

Press Ctrl + Shift + Escape to open the Windows Task Manager

Under the Applications Tab, right-click on Finale 2011

Select Go to Process

Right-click on the Finale.exe *32 process

Select Set Affinity

Uncheck All Processors (or uncheck each one) and leave CPU 0 or 1 selected

Press OK

http://makemusic.custhelp.com/app/answe ... sta-%26-7)

sschimel
Finale Version: Finale 2017.3

Post by sschimel » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:07 pm

That worked for me, too. IN fact it was MakeMusic Customer Support that told me that. You would think that if they know about the problem, they would just fix the software so it only used one core automatically.
"Musick has Charms to sooth a savage Breast" William Congreve, in The Mourning Bride, 1697

clarke
Finale Version: 2011b.r2 PC

Post by clarke » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:59 pm

This thread and the thread named Midi notes hanging are related to my problem: MIDI notes hang for me when I just open a *.mus file and playback the piece thru MIDI. Using only CPU 0 or CPU 1, alas, doesn't solve the issue for me.

This is a known issue, right? Has there been any word, other than the CPU 0 work around, from Finale? It appears to be an issue since Finale 2009 and the origin of this thread is a very old thread (Sep 25, 2011)? My hopes are that when they do get it figured out they release an update for the existing versions of Finale and not just the latest one, or give us a list of compatible MIDI cables or something.

Another related problem is my midi keyboard, during playback of a *.mus file, after about 5 measures goes mushy: either keys go silent or have a delay playing. I've made sure that "Use MIDI Device for input" has been unchecked. I practise timing by "playing along," making this MIDI issue rather significant, maybe a buffer issue?

Any word?
Clarke
Finale 2011b.r2, Win7 Ult. 64-bit SP1, Dell Studio XPS 12GB RAM, Yamaha P-155, Reaper

dsteinhil
Finale Version: 2014.5

Post by dsteinhil » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:30 pm

Hi Folks,

I was having this issue in Finale 2014.5 when I had the Spotify app running on the computer at the same time. I closed Spotify and it seems to have helped (this, after I had tried some of the other suggestions in the posts with no success). I have no idea what that means, but maybe a smart person can chime in.

Hey thanks, by the way, to everyone who posts (especially the smart people). Your posts have saved years of my life!