recurring tone when pressing on midi keyboard

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

kSison
Finale Version: 2011 Mac

Post by kSison » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:42 am

I'm using Finale 11.
Whenever I press a key on my midi keyboard it will make the sound of whatever instrument is highlighted on the main sheet, but it will also make another undesired tone once I depress the key. I noticed that this started happening when I was fiddling around with the "midi studio" menu trying to figure this software out. Whenever I press a key a little up arrow underneath the icon of my keyboard will highlight blue and return to its normal color afterwards. It happens every time I press a key too. I'm sure they're related, so what can I do to stop this annoying extra tone? Its so distracting I don't bother composing anymore because I can't stand the extra sound over, and over, and over again.... :cry:

Gerry Mulligan
Finale Version: Printmusic Mac

Post by Gerry Mulligan » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:30 am

kSison wrote:I'm using Finale 11.
Whenever I press a key on my midi keyboard it will also make another undesired tone once I depress the key. I noticed that this started happening when I was fiddling around with the "midi studio" menu trying to figure this software out. Whenever I press a key a little up arrow underneath the icon of my keyboard will highlight blue and return to its normal color afterwards. It happens every time I press a key too. I'm sure they're related, so what can I do to stop this annoying extra tone? Its so distracting I don't bother composing anymore because I can't stand the extra sound over, and over, and over again.... :cry:
YES! I have the same problem, and it started the same way yours did (I was fiddling around with "midi studio" trying to get my midi input working). In my case I am using Finale Printmusic 2011, a Macbook Pro (OS 10.6.8), and a Kawai K11 synth with an Edirol UM-1 interface. Never had problems with Garage Band. Took me a while to figure out how to get Printmusic to hear my synth keyboard. Now it can, but every time I release a key on the synth keyboard I get an annoying middle C note that sounds sort of like a short xylophone "BINK." On the downstroke I get whatever note it is that I play, but on the upstroke (the release of the key) I get that same middle C "bink." I also noticed the mysterious arrow blinking on the UM-1 icon in the Midi Studio dialog box.

It's driving me mad. Can anyone help? :(

bobwen
Finale Version: 2012

Post by bobwen » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:49 pm

I had this problem after I upgrades to a new Mac Pro and Finale 2012. It was as though one set of 16 channels was "leaking" into other banks so, I'd play back a score and it would play back a sound on channel 2 but also play back channel 18, 34, and 50! It drove me nuts until I discovered this:

Go to midi/audio --> device setup --> midi/internal speaker setup:

Make sure "Auto Detect input devices" is UN-checked, then from the input device pull-down, select ONLY the actual keyboard or other input device you use to enter your notes.

(I discovered mine was checked and even after unchecking it, it had my keyboard, my midi unit, and my IAC drivers ALL listed as inputs!)

This solved my problem. I hope it does for you as we,,!

Bob

Bendrew
Operating System: Windows

Post by Bendrew » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:25 am

Well, it's 2013, but I'm still using Finale 2011 because I need the vocal recording capacity that worked okay but doesn't in Finale 2012/13.

But my question is...on my iMac, I had to reinstall my system 10.8.5 and Finale 2011, but now my midi keyboard that has worked fine for two years (M-Audio Keystatio 49e) makes that xylophone "C" sound when I release the note. Yes the note registers, but I get that sound. The answer given by bobwen didn't make sense. There's no "Auto Detect input devices" to check or uncheck.

Has anyone solved this problem...it is driving me crazy!

Bendrew
Operating System: Windows

Post by Bendrew » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:40 pm

I just called Tech Support at Finale...they said the problem is not Finale but my instrument driver from M-Audio...but M-Audio is "class compliant" according to their specifications, no driver is necessary. Now I'm befuddled...I might try to reinstall my system again and see what happens...I'm currently using OS10.8.5 for a Mac. Anyone out there? Help!

brianthedrummer
Finale Version: 2013

Post by brianthedrummer » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:48 pm

Turn off "test setup" in the OS X midi setup window (should be gray, not blue). that is why it chimes each time you press a key on the keyboard. The beep is verifying that the midi signal is processing properly.