Finale ruins other programs' audio

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

elmo

Post by elmo » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:18 am

I use Finale 2009 on a WinXP system. Recently my Creative Audigy 2 ZS sound card died, and was replaced by an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card.

The problem is that when Finale is running, it ruins the audio of other audio programs (Cool Edit Pro, WinAmp, etc.), making them produce audio that sounds like a 33RPM record at 16RPM - slow and low. As soon as Finale is exited, all the other programs begin working fine.

Until recently this problem was intermittent. If it occurred, I'd just exit Finale and restart it. After a few exits/restarts the audio in the other programs would sound fine with Finale running. However the problem has become a consistent one, and no amount of restarting Finale works.

One possible clue is that when booting, Finale always displays this error message not once but twice:

CTASIO Warning

There are no Creative audio products installed and running on the system that support ASIO

Also, sometimes (not every time, only infrequently) when booting, Finale displays this error message:

ASIO Direct Sound Full Duplex Driver

Device: M-Audio Delta AP 1/2
Errorcode: FF9-5-0044 (80004005)
Info
Device could not be opened.

And one more possible clue, is that in Finale under Audio Setup/Microsoft Volume Controls/Input it says:

Volume Control

There is a problem with your sound hardware. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware.

BTW, Finale can playback a score with no audio problem. The problem only affects other programs' audio.

How can I make Finale not ruin the audio output of other audio programs, specifically Cool Edit Pro and WinAmp?

Thanks for all suggestions.