Finale 2011 won't show half notes and rests (Mac)

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

nikolas
Finale Version: 2012 PC

Post by nikolas » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:06 am

Hi,

I'm a PC user and have Finale 2012, but a friend of mine has Finale 2011, Mac OS (Lion) and he has an extremely weird problem, which I wasn't able to resolve for him (especially since I know very little about Macs...).

Anyhow.

In all his scores (which look fine on my computer, btw), are NOT showing half notes (only half notes, even the dotted ones), or any rest. Somehow he has tempered with his fonts and it won't show that.

Additionally (which I thing is normal?), if I change fonts to petrucci or engraver font set (he's currently using Maestro), it won't show them. I'm not sure if this is a Mac issue or something else, but anyhow...

I tried installing the Mac fonts (the new ones from the Makemusic website), but it didn't work. I tried un-installing the maestro font from the font book but it wouldn't work either (it won't allow me to un-install a font, only to disable it, which doesn't do anything).

Any ideas or help would be most appreciated please.

Regards,

Nikolas

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:16 am

Quoting from MakeMusic's Knowledge Base:

Fonts not displaying correctly on Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Advanced Steps
Last Updated 03/10/2011 07:11 PM | Article ID 1726

Question

I have upgraded to Mac OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and now my fonts are not displaying properly in Finale.
Why is this happening?

Answer

Recent changes introduced in Snow Leopard may affect the fonts used by Finale in rare cases.
Apple is aware of this problem, and is currently working on a fix.

In the meantime, to correct the problem:

Download the http://support.makemusic.com/kb/support ... tcache.zip
Extract and run the application.
When you see the [Process Completed] message, quit the program and restart the computer.
When the computer is restarted, open Font Book (Applications > Font Book).
From the Edit menu, click Select Duplicated Fonts.
From the Edit menu, click Resolve Duplicates.
Quit Font Book and then launch Finale.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

GingerHulk
Finale Version: Mac 2014b.v4722
Operating System: Windows

Post by GingerHulk » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:48 pm

I am actually experiencing the same/similar issue with Finale 2014b. I have recently upgraded to OSX 10.9.4 and I wonder has this caused an issue?

I have tried using the clearfontcache program and followed the instructions but there were no duplicate fonts detected in my Font Book.

I would appreciate any help you can offer with this. I have also raised a call with Tech Support:
"Half Note no longer displaying correctly, replaced with W symbol [Incident: 140705-000004]"

If you have any recommendations to try in the meantime, I would give them a go. I have noticed since raising that call that the coda symbol is also displaying incorrectly. Instead it gives a weird "Y" symbol.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Mark.
PrintMusic 2008, Finale 2009c, Finale 2014b.v4722, Mac OSX 10.9.4 (13E28)