Whole measure rests in any time signature (Finale 2014)

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

soundartist
Finale Version: 2010 for Mac

Post by soundartist » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:42 pm

Hi,
Asking this question since I don't understand Finale's manual in explaining this feature. How do I enter a rest for an entire measure for a piece that is not in 4/4 time? I'm writing a piece in 5/4 and I see for empty measures, Finale by default inserts this whole measure rest but how do I do it manually? I'm writing a fugue and want to add a whole measure rest for the upper voice while the alto voice continues—both on G-clef. Using Finale 2014.
As always, thanks very much.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:09 pm

I would create the whole rest as a tuplet:
4 Quarters in the space of 5 Quarters.

Set the tuplet to display “Nothing” for both Number and Bracket.

When you have created one such whole rest, you can copy it to other measures.
It might be handy to use an empty measure somewhere in the document as a “storage” measure where you can have a real whole measure rest in both Layer 1 and Layer 2.

Tips:

a. If you - in the Document menu - select “Show Active Layer Only”, you will only copy/edit the active layer.

b. If you - in the Staff Attributes - de-select "Display Rests in Empty Measures”, you can easily see where you have real whole measure rests.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

soundartist
Finale Version: 2010 for Mac

Post by soundartist » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:59 pm

Thank you very much, as usual. I appreciate the detailed reply and will try now your instructions.
Best, Julian

Peter Thomsen wrote:I would create the whole rest as a tuplet:
4 Quarters in the space of 5 Quarters.

Set the tuplet to display “Nothing” for both Number and Bracket.

When you have created one such whole rest, you can copy it to other measures.
It might be handy to use an empty measure somewhere in the document as a “storage” measure where you can have a real whole measure rest in both Layer 1 and Layer 2.

Tips:

a. If you - in the Document menu - select “Show Active Layer Only”, you will only copy/edit the active layer.

b. If you - in the Staff Attributes - de-select "Display Rests in Empty Measures”, you can easily see where you have real whole measure rests.