External VSTs in finale 2014

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

gmbreeze
Finale Version: Finale 2012 PC
Operating System: Mac

Post by gmbreeze » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:39 pm

Could someone please settle this once and for all?

Is it possible to use external VSTs such as EastWest, Play, Kontakt, etc. in Finale 2014 on Windows 7?

I have tried setting up both Play and Kontakt by following the following on MakeMusic's website (but it won't let me post the link to the forum...)

I have followed these steps but when I go to VST Banks and Effects from the MIDI/Audio menu the only options that appear are ARIA player and Smart Synth. Similarly, when I go to the Score Manager, under devices the only options are Garritan, SmartMusic Synth, and Aria Player. Is this a feature that only works for MAC computers?

If I can't find a way to use VSTs in Finale I'm going to have to start composing in Finale and then moving the data into Sibelius or a DAW and that is going to be a huge pain.

SerenityMusician
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by SerenityMusician » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:43 pm

I just joined this forum and have been a Finale user since the early 90's. I was going through some of the questions and noticed no one ever got back to you. The answer is "yes" you can use EastWest and Kontakt with Finale. I've done it with the Finale 2011, 2012 and 2014 versions.

One thing you have to make sure about is you are using the 32-bit versions of the VSTs when you copy them over into your VST folder, otherwise they will not show up in the VST Bank and Effects or give you the option to use Play or Kontakt when you open up the Score Manager.

Let me know if this helps.

Gary