The repeat sign is ignored the second time it is encountered

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jwocrc
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by jwocrc » Sat May 14, 2016 11:43 pm

It's elementary to set up a simple repeat. However, in actual practice, the repeat should always be followed, no matter how many times the music comes to it. The convention of ignoring the repeat if it has been encountered before is just an informal convention.

In any case, I want to be able to have a repeat that keeps on repeating, because in some cases, the repeat is essential.

How do I make the program do that without just constructing a whole repeat from scratch (pain and should not be anyway). There is an ambivalent (unclear) switch that seems like it might have something to do with that, but it has no effect at all when I click on it. I'm not sure what the point is of having a switch that is essentially a no-op.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sun May 15, 2016 12:15 am

You have to tell the program how many times to repeat.

Select the measures to be repeated, and from the selection tool context menu>Repeats>Create Simple Repeat.

Right-click on the backwards repeat bar, and Edit Repeat Assignment.

In the next window, assign the number of repeats.
Attachments
repeat.png
repeat.png (49.18 KiB) Viewed 5050 times
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue May 17, 2016 5:21 am

jwocrc wrote:It's elementary to set up a simple repeat. However, in actual practice, the repeat should always be followed, no matter how many times the music comes to it. The convention of ignoring the repeat if it has been encountered before is just an informal convention.

In any case, I want to be able to have a repeat that keeps on repeating, because in some cases, the repeat is essential.

How do I make the program do that without just constructing a whole repeat from scratch (pain and should not be anyway)…
I suppose that you already know the Finale command for creating a Simple Repeat:
Repeat menu > Create Simple Repeat

To make the repeat work again after e. g. a Da Capo, select the option “Reset on Repeat Action”:
Attachments
BackwardRepearBarAssignment.jpg
BackwardRepearBarAssignment.jpg (38.28 KiB) Viewed 5009 times
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

jwocrc

Post by jwocrc » Tue May 31, 2016 4:42 am

Yes, that would have been my assumption too. It does not work that way with my finale, and it does not work that way with any of the editions of finale I have had. I have tried that setting, and it ignores the repeat.

jwocrc

Post by jwocrc » Tue May 31, 2016 5:15 am

I went back to one of my pieces and set it as you suggested, and the playback ignored the repeat the second time, just as it always does.

I tried different settings on the window you are discussing, assuming I must be just missing something. Nope. It always ignores the repeat the send time through. I could get it to hang up in an infinite loop, and I could get it to ignore the first ending in the first iteration. I absolutely cannot get it to do what the notation says it is supposed to do, which is repeat, both first and second endings.

I invented a file and put a simple repeat in it and at first I thought I had gotten it to work, but then could not get it to do it again. I got infinite loops and useful rubbish like that, but could not get the notation to do what it says to do: repeat the music each time.

I figured out a work-around which is to create an invisible extra jump command which simply forces the control to pass to the first ending from the bar just before. This is a pain, but if the software won't do it, and so far as I can tell, it just won't, then I curse the code writers and just deal with it.

It is peculiar that it has been this way over several versions. I have tried to get it to work, and it just won't.

Perhaps you could look at my code and see what's going on? It would be nice to get it to do what it's supposed to.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue May 31, 2016 5:47 am

For me the playback is not ignored the second time..

To find out what is going on in your document, I think that we need to examine an actual Finale document.

I suggest that you attach a (small) Finale sample document here.

This forum does not accept file attachments with the Finale file name extension.

Before you can attach a Finale document in this forum, you must compress it, e. g. as a .zip file.
And the file size must not be more than max. 100 KB.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996