Latewncy in Hyperscribe

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Dan Conte
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by Dan Conte » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:56 pm

NEW TOPIC (as far as I can tell!)

Using a MacBook 2.26 Ghz Intel Cote 2 Duo with 8 GB 1067 DDR3.
I'm trying to record a fairly simple piano part in hyperscribe. I have the vocal part already entered in the top staff. When I try to record, the (superloud) metronome has a sort of latin groove, and my part registers about 1.25 beats later than where I played it. This can't be right. Anyone know how to fix it? I'm using the smart synth voices so they don't hog the memory and I've quit out of all other applications.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:20 pm

It's almost certainly one of the many and manifold HyperScribe and Quantization settings, but without checking the document to see how its configured, it's hard to tell.

However, the general advice for people using HyperScribe is "Don't". :D I can be much faster and more accurate using Simple Entry, with or without a MIDI keyboard.

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:04 pm

BuonTempi wrote:However, the general advice for people using HyperScribe is "Don't". I can be much faster and more accurate using Simple Entry, with or without a MIDI keyboard.
I disagree. As a keyboard player, I can input much faster with Hyperscribe than any other method except scanning, which I also recommend highly for suitable situations like arranging and editing. Of course, I only enter one hand at a time, create my own beat with the sustaining pedal, and use two computer keys programmed to switch quickly between "favor sharps" or "favor flats" under Finale> Enharmonic spelling.

But this only works well for pieces in clear-cut rhythms. If you are using complex rhythms or playing swung rhythms that sound different than notated, you are certainly better off using another entry method.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."