Just can't get Rewire going

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

unfamiliarplace
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by unfamiliarplace » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:36 am

I switched to Finale 25.2, running the 64-bit version on Windows 10 Pro. Audio device natively supports ASIO (it's a simple Steinberg UR-12 interface).

I'm quite a lightweight in terms of music production, but do use Finale for composing, etc. And until v 25, I used it for the odd short film project for friends and colleagues. This is to preface the fact that the only reason I'm bringing a DAW into the picture right now is because the video window is gone in Finale 25.

I've now tried several DAWs among the not-huge list that are free or have good trials and also support both video and ReWire, and each time the story is the same: I follow the directions to a T, try variations on the same, abuse the Reset Rewire button, and by hook or by crook manage get Finale added as ReWire device in a track in the DAW, and then open Finale, and it doesn't quite work. Usually it's able to enter RW mode (or else it appears to be -- e.g. some mix of having the resync score data be clickable, audio device be greyed out, playback controls be changed, etc. I've been trying this across 25.0, 25.1, and 25.2 so not sure if the intended behaviour has changed).

But what doesn't happen is any stereo data being in the DAW in any way or Finale responding to placement of the time marker, the play button, anything in the DAW.

I've reinstalled Finale, and I've even reinstalled Windows during this period for other reasons. As I've said, I've tried this in several DAWs. I've been through a support thread with MakeMusic, who eventually referred me to Propellerhead, who is hard to contact about RW because it's not one of their official "products" and their support form requires you to choose one to go to the right channel...

Feeling somewhat hopeless at this point. Has anyone else had this experience? Am I missing something obvious? :( Thank you.

dankreider
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by dankreider » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:57 pm

Have you tried Studio One? It seems to integrate pretty well with Finale and RW.
Finale 25.5
Windows 10
Garritan mostly
General Editor at gracemusic.us

unfamiliarplace

Post by unfamiliarplace » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:33 pm

Thanks. Just tried it; no luck. The same thing happens. (Right now, the symptoms of being in RW mode that my install of Finale displays are greying out the audio device, loading VST instruments on audio load, allowing the Resync Score Data button to be pressed without a notification that I should be in RW, and nothing happening except HP prep when I click Play.)

I'm starting to think it's not the DAW, particularly since other ones I've tried have seen success in the hands of other users -- at least as far as getting audio data to sync: forum.makemusic.com /default.aspx?f=5&m=483117 *

What else could it be?! The audio device somehow? Finale (but note the multiple reinstalls I've done)?

I've uploaded a video demonstrating my process to Youtube: /watch?v=2x07n0Xq0YA *

And attached is my most recent Finale log from %appdata%/MakeMusic/Common, which I believe would be for the instance in that video.

* board tells me I can't post URLs yet :)
Attachments
FinaleDevice.zip
Most recent log
(680 Bytes) Downloaded 216 times

unfamiliarplace

Post by unfamiliarplace » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:57 pm

Amazing news. You'd never believe it if it weren't %&*%ing Windows, but running both Reaper and Finale in admin mode appears to have fixed it. Will update if anything else occurs...