New computer

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

OCTO
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by OCTO » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:00 am

Hello everyone.

I have a very new Mac Book Pro, with dedicated video card. But the performances on my large scores, with many many customisation is EXTREMELY POOR. I will not go in detail but it is like running on Pentium 1.

Therefore I want to buy a new PC with Windows. I don't mind buying an empty machine and installing Windows 7.

What I like with my MBP with retina is extremely sharp, fluid-like screen resolution.
What PC I should get and what screen (prefferable 27"+) to get the same output?
Cheaper version?

For now I use an old iMac with dual boot into Windows 7, but the screen resolution is not good.

Finale 2014.5.
Thanks.
www.notat.io - A Forum devoted to the Practice of Music Notation

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:01 pm

I believe there are still issues with Finale's speed on Apple Retina displays, but you can run Finale in "Low Res" using Finder's Get Info, which will fix the problem.

https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... a-displays

Alternatively, you could always run Windows on your MBP. Either remove OS X completely, or partition with Boot Camp. The poor speed is not a problem with the hardware, but with the Mac version of Finale.

OCTO
Finale Version: 25

Post by OCTO » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:45 pm

Running Finale in the low resolution mode doesn't help at all.
I switched off everything: auto spacing, no parts, low resolution... Nothing helps for my large files. An iMac from 2007 runs the same file perfectly. Only cons is the low resolution.
EDIT: iMac from 2007 running Windows 7, via BootCamp.
www.notat.io - A Forum devoted to the Practice of Music Notation

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:06 pm

OCTO wrote:An iMac from 2007 runs the same file perfectly. Only cons is the low resolution.
EDIT: iMac from 2007 running Windows 7, via BootCamp.
How is Finale on OS X on the iMac? You can run up to El Capitan on that Mac, so should be good for 2014.5 and 25.

Have you talked to MM Support about the poor speed? It can't be a universal experience on new Retina MBPs, surely?