Finale not recognizing the font installation?

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:59 am

Hiya,

Whenever I start up a new composition in Finale '03, and start to write something, the notes show up as œ's and the likes with j's for tails and other strange stuff. I figure it's a font problem, but I've tried going into the options and messing around, but nothing seems to work. Anyone have any idea what's up or how to fix it?

-Cheers and blessed be!

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:19 pm

Sparrow wrote: Whenever I start up a new composition in Finale '03, and start to write something, the notes show up as œ's and the likes with j's for tails and other strange stuff. I figure it's a font problem, but I've tried going into the options and messing around, but nothing seems to work.
Indeed, that's typically what happens when Finale doesn't find the music fonts it needs and uses some other standard non-musical font instead.
I imagine that you have double-checked this :
- Options menu, Set Default Music Fonts : a music font should be selected
- Options menu, Documents options, fonts, Notation : a music font should be selected
If you din't find anything abnormal there, you should really consider re-installing the Finale fonts, and then restart.
Last edited by michelp on Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:34 am

I have a problem somewhat related to this. I recently upgraded from 2002 to 2003, and when I started to work on a piece of music, I found that my fonts were all screwed up. When I looked in my font folder, I found the Finale fonts weren't even there for some reason. I tried to install them from the CD, but Windows wouldn't recognize the files. Anyone know how to correct this?

Scott12487

Post by Scott12487 » Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:11 pm

Yeah this is gettting really annoying becasue my programs been like this for 2 weeks and im getting mad. Im ready to just format my computer. Thats the only thing i can think of. But thats an extreme last resort. I love finale and if i have to format my computer to have it i will. So if anyone can help in anyway please do. I dont know if mines any different from there problems mine just looks like wingdings. It's really crazy. thanks

TimB

Post by TimB » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:31 am

I recently installed Finale 2001 on a new computer running Windows XP; the program worked perfectly until the computer was restarted, after which the fonts were not recognized and would not display correctly. After reading this forum, I investigated and found one possible help for you. After locating the "fonts" folder under the WINDOWS directory, I found the missing fonts: I right-clicked one of them, selected "Properties" and discovered that the fonts were set to open with Windows Font Reader. I hit the "Change" button and selected "Finale 2001", hit OK and exited, restarted Finale and voila! correct presentation.

Hope this leads you in a positive direction (get help before you re-format your computer: save a lot of frustration!).