Lost Files Subsequent to Use of Registry Cleaner

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

MS-52

Post by MS-52 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:28 pm

Hi:
I have been using Finale Guitar for about 6 months and have not had any serious proiblems until this morning. I worked on some music last night and shut down the computer when I was done. When I opened Finale this morning all of the songs in the drop down list (i.e., the most recently worked on pieces, usually about 4) were gone. What is worse, they seem to have been completed deleted from my computer. The older music is still there and fine.

The only thing that I did differently that I can think of is that, before opening Finale, I ran a program that examines and repairs Windows registry files (its part of a program package called PC Power Suite). I have no idea why this should have an effect on the most recent Finale files. One interesting this is that the program (i.e., the one for the Windows registry) has a feature that allows you to restore the files that were replaced. When I run this and then open Finale, it looks like one of the lost files is in the drop down menu. However, when I try to open it, I get a message saying that the file cannot be located. The file name then disappears from the drop down menu.

If anyone has an idea as to what is going on or has had a similar problem, please let me know. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Even if I can't get back the lost files, I would still like to know what is happening so that I can avoid this kind of thing in the future.

Thanks for your help.
MS-52