Does Finale 2002

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Colombo

Post by Colombo » Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:17 pm

Hi everybody,

I've been using Finale 2002 for some time under Windows 98 with no problem. But some months ago I bought a new computer with Windows XP Professional and installed Finale 2002 again. So far everything's gone all right as to writing music. But when I try to listen to what I've written the program gets hung and the last note keeps on sounding till I press Control+Alt+Supr and shut Finale. Then, a message appears asking me whether I'd like to send information about the error, to Microsoft, I think (I cannot send anything, since I don't have an internet connection at home).

I've saved the files that would be sent (should I choose that option), which are appcompat.txt, manifest.txt, finale.exe.hdmp and finale.exe.mdmp. In the three first I haven't seen anything among all that double Dutch that seems helpful, but the last one is crammed with "failed to create...", "...not loaded...", "unable to..." and niceties like those. But I can't make out anything, because I don't know anything about computers.

Does anybody know how I can solve the problem? Or is it a matter of incompatibility between Finale 2002 and Windows XP?

Thank you very much in advance.

Colombo

Post by Colombo » Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:18 pm

The subject of my previous message should be "Does Finale 2002 work under Windows XP?" I wonder what happened to the rest!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:00 am

There have been some problems with Finale under Windows XP.

The conclusion seems to be that Finale will only work under XP with XP's hyperthreading toggled off.

But I could be wrong about that.

Peter

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:06 am

Thank you very much for your quick answer. Can you tell me what's hyperthreading and how can I toggle it off? Will that affect other functions significantly? I'm really considering going back to Windows 98, since Finale is one of the main things I want my computer for, but I'd like to know whether I can avoid it.

Colombo

Post by Colombo » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:07 am

I forgot telling who I was!

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:16 pm

Yes, this was a problem in Finale 2002's MIDI on Windows XP that was fixed in 2003. Contact Finale tech support and see if they can help you with that.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:52 pm

To Set Compatibility Mode, go to the My Computer.
Navigate to the Finale folder.
Right-click on the Finale.exe file (the one with the Finale icon) and select Properties.
Go to the Compatibility Tab.
Check the box that says "Run this program in Compatibility mode for:" Then select Windows 98/ME.
If this does not help, you can also select the Windows 2000 setting.

Peter

Colombo

Post by Colombo » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:36 pm

Thanks for your help. I'll try to set the Compatibility Mode in that way, and if that doesn't work, maybe I'll try to contact the Finale technical support... Although I don't know whether that would prove to be unwise... I'm not sure whether the programme I've got is official or not (it's a friend's), and I might get into trouble (or have I seen too many films?)

Colombo

Post by Colombo » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:25 am

I set the compatibility mode (which I hadn't heard of before), and now everything seems to be all right. Thanks a lot!