Automatic clef plugin

Post your wishes for future features in Finale here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

stevenisserlisfan
Finale Version: Finale 2011 r2 Mac

Post by stevenisserlisfan » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:03 am

Dear Finale users,

Today I was practising Paganini's 'Moto Perpetuo' for a recital I have coming up. I decided a good practice strategy might be to transpose the solo part into a few other keys, to give my brain a work-out if nothing else. After downloading a MIDI file and transposing it into a few different keys, I found the number of ledger lines distracting. Could the Finale developers develop a plugin that recognises when there are too many ledger lines (ie. a maximum of 3 ledger lines below a treble clef stave, or even better - as specified by the user) and insert automatic changes of clef?

Hope this makes sense... Cheers from Australia! :D

Stevenisserlisfan

Warren Barnett

Post by Warren Barnett » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:16 pm

I'm not sure which instrument that you are playing, but flautists regulariliy read what seems to be about 100 leger lines. How is Finale supposed to determine what is regular, and what is irregular? Once transposed, it is simple to change clefs manually.
Warren Barnett

Finale 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
Garritan Personal Orchestra 4.01
Garritan Jazz & Big Band 3
Garritan Concert & Marching Band 2
Garritan World Instruments
Garritan Steinway Piano Basic Edition
Tapspace Virtual Drumline 2.52

stevenisserlisfan
Finale Version: Finale 2011 r2 Mac

Post by stevenisserlisfan » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:46 am

I'm a cellist. Surely a Finale programmer could develop a customized 'intelligent' automatic plugin that allows the user to determine the his preferred number of ledger lines. Cellists usually read up to three ledger lines below a treble clef staff (an 'F') and the gap between four and five ledger lines above a bass clef stave (a 'C') - below/above those parameters maybe there could be a setting that transposes 'intelligently'... Just thinking out aloud... :D