Blank page templates

Post your wishes for future features in Finale here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

christopherjhoh
Finale Version: Finale 26.1
Operating System: Mac

Post by christopherjhoh » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:48 pm

I'd love to see the Insert Blank Pages dialogue in Page Layout Tool expanded to offer some "blank page templates" to choose from. E.g., Front Cover Outside, Front Cover Inside, Back Cover Inside, Back Cover Outside, and a few more, all customizable, nameable and savable. In these, one would insert text boxes and graphics. Name of piece and composer on the front cover would be an obvious starting point. It would be great if these new blank pages (and all newly inserted blank pages) defaulted in page size and margins to the settings of the adjacent page or default page format for that score or part. So then it would be easy to add covers, front matter, program note box, contact info, etc., to any existing template or score, not have to create new pages from scratch for every template. Related to this, how about adding more insertable text fields, e.g. URL, or dedication. Ideally, URL, phone number, address, logo, etc. would be savable in Finale Preferences and become the default for all documents? And dedication, catalog number, program note, forces, etc. would be document specific fields, saved in an expanded File Info window under Score Manager. I think this combination of features would greatly simplify the tasks of formatting a final document and leave more time to concentrate on composing music.
[i][color=#0000FF]Chris[/color][/i]
[size=85]Christopher J. Hoh
www.HohMadeMusic.com[/size]

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:59 pm

These ideas are great.
Make sure that you make feature requests to MakeMusic.

This forum is not monitored by MakeMusic - it is intended for the users to discuss ideas about new features in the program.

By The Way:
christopherjhoh wrote:…It would be great if these new blank pages (and all newly inserted blank pages) defaulted in page size and margins to the settings of the adjacent page or default page format for that score or part. So then it would be easy to add covers, front matter, program note box, contact info, etc., to any existing template or score, not have to create new pages from scratch for every template…
This feature is already available, as a document specific setting:
Document menu > Page Format > Score…
When creating new pages in a document, Finale uses the settings in the dialog box “Page Format for Score”.
If you have to “create new pages from scratch for every template”, then your templates have incorrect settings in their “Page Format for Score” data.
If I were you, I would correct the Page Format for Score settings in my templates a. s. a. p.

NB:
All new pages are formatted according to the settings in Page Format for Score.
Already existing pages are not affected.
To update already existing pages with (new) settings in Page Format for Score, use the command
Redefine Pages:
Page Layout menu > Redefine Pages > …

You can tell Finale to, automatically update Page Format for Score when you edit/format an already existing page:
Page Layout Tool.
Page Layout menu > Update Page Format for Score
NB:
The option “Update Page Format for Score” is a program specific option (not document specific!).
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996