Linked scores

Post your wishes for future features in Finale here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

christopherjhoh
Finale Version: Finale 26.1
Operating System: Mac

Post by christopherjhoh » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:33 pm

Finale's linked parts feature is great, powerful, deep. How about expanding the concept from score and linked parts to this: master score, conductor's score, linked scores and linked parts? The master or composer's score would have every staff including the kitchen sink (i.e. the "score" as currently implemented) -- e.g. a sketch staff, alternative instruments, keyboard reductions for rehearsal, etc. The conductor's score would have everything the conductor needs to see and would use measure number regions and format, time signature format, other layout as set for scores. Linked scores would be like linked parts but use measure number regions and format as set for scores. Typical uses would be a smaller study score or a keyboard reduction for choral rehearsal. And linked parts would remain as is, retaining the option for a different default format and measure numbering. It is possible to achieve much of this approach now by hiding staves in the score and reformatting a linked part with multiple instruments to look more like a score. But that's time consuming. And still, I have to remember to change the measure number positioning before I print out a linked part, depending on whether it should look like a single instrument part or a reduced score of some kind. I suspect I'm not the only one with a "score" that has extra staves in it, so I either must remove the extra stuff before having a score ready to go or must create a linked part to serve as the conductor's score. It seems that the Finale (and XML as I understand it) architecture as now set up for master score and linked parts would not be hard to modify to create score-like linked parts, i.e. linked parts that are formatted like scores.
[i][color=#0000FF]Chris[/color][/i]
[size=85]Christopher J. Hoh
www.HohMadeMusic.com[/size]

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:37 pm

These ideas are great.
Don’t forget to make feature requests to MakeMusic.

This forum is not monitored by MakeMusic - it is intended for the users to discuss ideas about new features in the program.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996