Classical Guitar Symbols on One pallet

Post your wishes for future features in Finale here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

GuitarandLute

Post by GuitarandLute » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:55 pm

Finale has been in business now 25 Years? No guitar symbols, Bars, circlied strings, fingerings... I know you can make some of them, but Encore for example has the best system for guitar. The Program seems to be focused on Tablature for Guitar. This needs to be fixed. I'm stunned there is little support for Classical Guitar

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:16 pm

I'm not familiar with Encore, nor particularly with classical guitar. Can you post a picture of what tools you would expect to find on one pallet? Not a description, please, but pictures for us dummies.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

ud dude

Post by ud dude » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:17 pm

bump
thanks
the ud dude

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:21 pm

I'll ask you the same question. What are you looking for? If it's special maqam markings, they aren't there. You will have to create your own.

Show us a picture of what you want, please.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

mjdisler
Finale Version: 2010 & 2011 Mac
Operating System: Windows

Post by mjdisler » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:38 pm

I've managed to produce special classical guitar marks using Finale alone, though the circled numbers (for string numbers) were definitely very tedious. And the circle doesn't show in the text expression palette - only the number, so it's a bit of a guessing game.
- Finale/Makemusic folks should be aware that classical guitar scores routinely incorporate LOTS of fingering marks in addition to the usual finger numbers, because many of the same notes & combinations are possible in multiple configurations on the fretboard. Sometimes it takes as long - or longer - to finger a score as to enter the notation. (String numbers, position marks, bar marks, brackets both vertical & horizontal) In addition, Zapf dingbats, which include circled numbers, in Mac OS fonts changed format with OSX, and are virtually unusable in Finale, (and problematic in many page layout apps, including InDesign)
- That said, one thing might help some people: A free circled-number font is available here, and can be set up as a text expression. I have used the font with no problems. If there's a better way, let us know. Classic guitar scores are big business in the sheet music world now, and Makemusic has no valid excuses for "not noticing."
http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/typodermic/numberpile/
Finale 2010 & 2011.r2, Intel Mac OS X.6.8