Study score, reductions

Post your wishes for future features in Finale here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

christopherjhoh
Finale Version: Finale 26.1
Operating System: Mac

Post by christopherjhoh » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:52 pm

I find it helps to have a compact "study score" in addition to the full score. This is something that can be printed out easily on a normal sheet of paper rather than the large sizes used for full scores. It's something that most of us can print at home rather than having to send to a copy shop. Useful for reviewing, editing, sharing (marketing!). Also useful to include with keyboard reductions for all or some of the score, e.g. for rehearsing choir parts or for substituting organ for all winds.

At present, I can create a new part in Manage Parts, name it "study score" and then add all the instruments to the part. (I can also make the keyboard reductions as additional lines in the score, hide them there but show them in the study score.) But then it is time consuming to re-create in the new part all the groups attributes and brackets for this study score. Also, if I want to print it, I must go through all the staff and group attributes and check "Staff Name in Parts" to have the names print in the study score.

So my wish is for something besides "Score" & "Parts," say call it "Reductions." These would be created and managed the way parts are managed but display the way scores display, with all the names and brackets automatically incorporated when generated. Ideally there would also be a "Reductions" sub-menu in the drop-down under Page Format as well.

Meanwhile, any tips out there on how to accomplish the same result faster, better with Finale as is would be welcome!

David M
Finale Version: 2014.5

Post by David M » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:07 pm

I echo the wish of this poster. Echo loudly! This would be a huge help. I'm about to do it the other way (through a new "part") myself. Christopherjhoh: I'll be back with a remark if I find any shorter way with what's already available in 2011.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:17 pm

Have you looked at the Piano Reduction plug-in?
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

David M

Post by David M » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:54 pm

Sure I have, but if you read through the wish you'll find it doesn't address the need properly. It's not so much a need for a reduction per se, it's a need for a second, differently formatted version of the score. It would be great for instance to, in one file, have Full score, Study score (for instance), Reduction score, you get the picture.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:35 pm

OK, then. You should submit your request through Finale Customer Service. They do not monitor this forum.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

David M

Post by David M » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:15 am

Ah, okay then. Thank you!

David M

Post by David M » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:30 am

Another kind of score: on top of regular (full) and having a Study score added (smaller page and staff height too, usually), Piano reduction (as its own score, so format rules can be set up), I would also wish for a Conductor's score (these can often be a little different, making for more pages and easier reading, elements well spread out). That's all the types I can think of.

Travis

Post by Travis » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:25 am

Hi, i've got the following question: what should i have to convert a conductor's score into a piano piece?
Last edited by Travis on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

David M

Post by David M » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:43 pm

Travis wrote:Hi, i've got the following question: what should i have to convert a conductor's score into a piano piece?
Isn't there some plug-in that comes with 2011? I think I've seen it, but I'm not with the program right now to check.

BTW all who were interested in the matter of multiple score types (or layouts) being possible within one .mus file... I did contact Finale and got a very positive, "good suggestion!" response. Don't know if that means it'll be implemented, we shall see. If others want to see this too I suggest you write to them as well - maybe a volume of requests will bring it to fruition (one can hope :| ).

Regards