Ties in Voice 2

Post your wishes for future features in Finale here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

billwmus
Finale Version: 2010 Mac

Post by billwmus » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:23 pm

When using Voice 2 (with another note in voice 1), you cannot tie a note to the next ms. (the tie goes backwards)
This has been the case for years and years. This should be a simple fix. And no, don't tell me to use Layer 2. This needs to work when you have just a partial measure of Voice 2 notes.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:35 pm

What program are you using? the full Finale?

What version? 2011?

I'm unable to duplicate your problem with my own copy of Finale 2011.
When using Voice 2 my ties work fine in both layout and playback, also across a barline.

Can you provide exact steps to reproduce the problem?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

mcdigger
Finale Version: PC Finale 2011b

Post by mcdigger » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:32 pm

Agreed. I have this problem if both Voice 1 and Voice 2 need to tie to the next measure, but they begin on different beats of the starting measure. One of them extends to the left instead of the right. I have to place an additional "overflow" note at the end of the measure, beyond the time signature's capacity, and hide the note. That fixes the tie, but every time I edit the measure after that I have to ignore the "too many beats" warning. Frustrating!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:38 pm

mcdigger wrote:Agreed. I have this problem if both Voice 1 and Voice 2 need to tie to the next measure, but they begin on different beats of the starting measure. One of them extends to the left instead of the right. I have to place an additional "overflow" note at the end of the measure, beyond the time signature's capacity, and hide the note. That fixes the tie, but every time I edit the measure after that I have to ignore the "too many beats" warning. Frustrating!
I'm unable to duplicate your problem with my own copy of Finale 2012.
When using Voice 2 my ties work fine in both layout and playback, also "if both Voice 1 and Voice 2 need to tie to the next measure, but they begin on different beats of the starting measure".

Can you provide exact steps to reproduce the problem?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996