Newbie here- I can't find the rest button!

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Oboejoe92

Post by Oboejoe92 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:47 am

I just received Finale 2009 as a late birthday gift and I am so excited to use it! But when I opened up the program I couldn't find the button to add rests, not of any kind.
I also cannot access the tutorial videos, they will not play for some reason otherwise I would have watched those first.

Could someone help out a newbie here?
I used to use Finale Notepad 2007 and 2008 and I could easily find the rests there and hoped they'd be in the same spot.

Thanks!
~Oboe Joe

-edit- I also downloaded the upgrade to Finale 2009b.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:42 am

It sounds like you are using the Simple Entry Tool, and don't have the Rests Palette showing.

You can show the Rests Palette via the View menu.

When entering Simple Entry notes via the computer keyboard, you can turn a selected note into a rest, by hitting the letter R key.

When entering Simple Entry notes via the computer keyboard and the Simple Entry caret, you can enter a note by hitting the corresponding letter key: hit the letter A key to enter an A, &c.
You can enter a rest instead of a note, by hitting the number 0 key.

By The Way, I recommend that you take the time to study the tutorial document EntryExercise.MUS which you can find in the folder Tutorials.

Unlike the NotePad programs, the full Finale also has another entry tool, called the Speedy Entry Tool.
For some tasks you might find Speedy Entry more useful than Simple Entry.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Vipme

Post by Vipme » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:16 am

I was having the same problem, thanks for the info :)

Oboejoe92

Post by Oboejoe92 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:39 am

Is there any way of exiting out of the "Simply Entry Tool" and/or have the Rests Palette show?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:40 am

Oboejoe92 wrote:Is there any way of exiting out of the "Simply Entry Tool" and/or have the Rests Palette show?
If I understand you correctly, you have the Simple Entry Rests Palette showing, but the Rests Palette is only showing when you are in the Simple Entry Tool, and you want the Rests Palette to keep showing after you have left the Simple Entry Tool?

Program Options > Palettes and Backgrounds
I think you would prefer to de-select "Close Subsidiary Palettes When Leaving Tool".
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996